The heritage Midway
The Friday and Saturday before Labor Day, and the century that explains it
Midway Swiss Days, and the town underneath it.
More than a hundred and eighty juried artisans fill Midway Town Square from eight until eight on the Friday and Saturday before Labor Day, with a 10K and a parade on the Saturday morning. It began in 1947 as a harvest festival. The Swiss part goes back further, to families who arrived through the 1860s and built a town out of the rock its own hot springs left behind.
Southern Utah is my home turf. Midway is not, so these pages are researched rather than lived: checked against city, county and venue sources, and dated so you can see how fresh they are. For the on-the-ground work here I lean on a Wasatch County partner agent.
Start here
Two days, and the town is outnumbered by a wide margin.
Midway Swiss Days runs the Friday and Saturday before Labor Day, which puts it on 4 and 5 September in 2026. The centre of it is an open air market of more than a hundred and eighty juried artisans filling Midway Town Square and the streets around it, trading from eight in the morning until eight at night on both days. Around the market sit Swiss German food stalls, live music and a children's area.
The Saturday carries the rest of the programme. A breakfast and a 10K start at seven in the morning and the parade runs at ten. That is the busiest window of the whole weekend and it is when the streets nearest the square stop being useful to drive on.
Scale is the thing to understand before you come. Midway holds around six thousand people. The weekend brings a crowd on a completely different order, which is why the city runs a parking shuttle, why accommodation across the valley is gone months ahead, and why residents either build their year around the weekend or leave town for it.
Swiss Days at a glance
1947
the first one, then called Harvest Days
180+
juried artisans in the market
8 to 8
market hours, on both days
10:00
the Saturday parade
Where it came from
It started as a harvest festival and picked up the Swiss name later.
The event was established in 1947 by Joseph B. and Pauline S. Erwin, and it was called Harvest Days. That is what a farming valley did at the end of the growing season, and the original had far more to do with the crop being in than with anybody's ancestry.
The Swiss framing came afterwards and it is not a marketing invention, because the ancestry was already sitting in the phone book. What changed was that the festival started saying so out loud, and once it did, the costume, the food and the name gave the weekend an identity that a generic harvest fair would never have grown into an event of this size.
Nearly eighty years on, the shape is still recognisably a harvest festival with a market at the middle of it. What has changed is who comes. A community event that could once be absorbed by a valley now needs a shuttle system, a juried vendor list and a road plan.
A crop festival started by two residents in 1947, now the reason a town of six thousand needs a parking shuttle for one weekend a year.
Why Swiss, and why here
Two settlements on Snake Creek, and a fort built halfway between them.
Fur trappers under Etienne Provost came through this valley in 1824, but settlement waited on a road. The wagon road through Provo Canyon was finished in 1858 and the first settlers arrived with it. In 1859 families took up ground along Snake Creek in two separate groups, an Upper Settlement and a Lower Settlement, and one of them was called Mound City for the pale limestone mounds standing in the fields nearby.
In 1866, with the Black Hawk War under way and Brigham Young pressing settlements to fortify, the two groups agreed to stop being two groups. They built one fort halfway, or midway, between them. That is the whole etymology, and the combined town incorporated on 1 June 1891.
The Swiss arrived through the 1860s and 1870s, in enough numbers to set the tone of the place: Gertsch, Huber, Kohler, Probst, Zenger, Durtschi, Abegglen. They came into a valley that already had sawmills running under Henry T. Coleman, John Watkins and Moroni Blood, and where John H. Van Wagoner built the first commercial gristmill in 1861. Later the Park City mines took much of the valley's labour, right through the late 1960s.
The hot springs made the valley a destination early
Two spring resorts opened here in the 1880s, and they matter to the settlement story rather than only to the tourist one. Simon Schneitter, one of the Swiss arrivals, began letting travellers bathe in the hot pot on his farm in 1886, and that business became the Homestead. Luke's Hot Pots, from the same decade, became the Mountain Spa. A farming valley with two bathing resorts in it was already a place people travelled to, half a century before skiing arrived in this part of Utah.
What survived
A town hall with two feet of pot rock in its walls.
Pot rock is the local word for tufa, the pale limestone the geothermal springs precipitate as their water cools. It was free, it was local, and it was already piled in mounds across the fields, so Midway built with it. The Recreation Center, dedicated in June 1941 and universally called the Town Hall, is the set piece: pot rock walls about two feet thick, rustic timber lintels, brackets on the gable ends, half timbering and a steeply pitched roof that reads as part Arts and Crafts and part Tudor Revival.
It was a Works Progress Administration project built with local labour, designed by Claude Shepherd Ashworth and constructed by Fredrick O. Hauter, with the lime for the mortar burned locally and the lumber cut from the mountains behind town and milled by the Michie brothers. A 2011 seismic upgrade reinforced the walls, replaced the roof and re-pointed the pot rock exterior. Sections of two foot wall are still visible inside the cultural hall.
Around it stand older houses in the same material and the same century, including the Bonner houses and the William Watkins Coleman house. Newer subdivisions are asked to nod at the same look through the city's design guidelines, which is why a street built in 2019 can read as Swiss influenced. Walking the few blocks around Town Square is the fastest way to see where the guideline came from.
Swiss Days weekend is the wrong time to look at property here. Two days of a festival that dwarfs the town is not a representative sample of what living on a Midway street is like, in either direction. The square is unrecognisable, the parking rules are suspended and the traffic pattern is temporary. If you are weighing an address, come back on an ordinary Tuesday in February as well, and ask a local agent which streets sit inside the road plan for the weekend.
The other monument
Two thousand four hundred names on the hill above River Road.
Memorial Hill sits off River Road at the Memorial Hill Drive roundabout on the east side of town, and a spiral road climbs it. The land was Jesse Hughes McCarrell's, then Elijah Watkins', before the county bought it to memorialise those who had served. The monument was designed by the Salt Lake City architect Leigh Block Turner and dedicated on Armistice Day in 1928.
More than two thousand four hundred names are recorded there, on black basalt set into columns of native travertine, running from the War of 1812 through recent deployments. Travertine is the same family of rock as the pot rock in the town hall walls, which means the monument is quite literally made of the ground it stands on. A bronze called The Final Salute, showing a fallen soldier's boots, helmet and rifle, stands at the top.
Vehicles are kept off the spiral road for roughly October to May because of snow, but the paved walking path is available on foot in reasonable conditions all year. It is free, it is the best view of the valley floor you can reach without a trailhead, and it is a memorial before it is an overlook.
The same water
Homestead Crater
The largest of the springs that built the pot rock, with sixty five feet of water under a fifty five foot dome and a tunnel into the side.
The crater pageUp the hill
Huber Grove and the park
The Huber farmhouse and creamery sit inside the state park, from one of the Swiss families whose names run through the valley.
The state park pageFor buyers
What the weekend means
How a festival of this size lands on an ordinary street, and the rest of the two address comparison with Heber City.
Midway or HeberKeep reading
More of Midway on The Local.
Things to do
The top 9, ranked
Nine picks, ranked, starting with a hot spring inside a limestone dome.
Read the guideThe crater
Homestead Crater
Fifty five feet of tufa, sixty five feet of water, and a tunnel blasted in 1996.
Read the guideThe Olympic venue
Soldier Hollow
A 2002 Olympic venue that never closed, and is already building for 2034.
Read the guideThe state park
Wasatch Mountain State Park
Four public eighteens, two campgrounds, and a county road to Guardsman Pass.
Read the guideMoving here
Midway or Heber City
Three miles apart, one school district, and two very different rulebooks.
Read the guideThe companion
Midway, in one place
The crater, the Olympic venue, the park, the festival and two addresses.
Read the pageQuick answers
Swiss Days, answered.
The Friday and Saturday before Labor Day every year, which makes it 4 and 5 September in 2026. The open air market runs from eight in the morning until eight at night on both days at Midway Town Square. The Saturday adds a breakfast and a 10K starting at seven and a parade at ten. Dates shift with the calendar rather than with the organisers, so the Friday and Saturday before the holiday is the rule to remember.
The market is the centre of it: more than a hundred and eighty juried artisans and boutique vendors selling handcrafted goods, art, jewellery, home items, speciality foods and clothing around Town Square and the streets beside it. Around that sit Swiss German food stalls, live music and entertainment, and a children's area with a bounce house and a climbing wall. On the Saturday there is also a breakfast, a 10K and a parade.
It was established in 1947 by Joseph B. and Pauline S. Erwin under the name Harvest Days, which is what a farming valley called the celebration at the end of the growing season. The Swiss framing came later and drew on an ancestry that was already there, since Swiss families made up much of the immigration into this valley through the 1860s and 1870s. The market shape of a harvest festival is still visible in what the weekend is.
Walking into the market is free. The 10K and the breakfast on the Saturday morning are separately organised and ticketed, and everything at the stalls costs what the vendor is asking. The real cost of the weekend is logistical rather than financial: parking, the shuttle ride, and accommodation anywhere in the valley, which books out months in advance for this weekend and for Memorial Day weekend.
No. The organisers state plainly that this is not a dog friendly venue or event and ask people to leave animals at home, with certified service animals as the only exception. The reason is crowd density: an eight hour market packed into a small square with a parade running through it on the Saturday morning is not a place an animal has a good time, and it is not a rule that gets relaxed at the gate.
Use the parking shuttle the city runs for the weekend. The streets immediately around Town Square are the venue rather than the car park, and the residential grid beyond them fills early with people who tried the same thing. Park where the shuttle operates and ride in. Driving toward the square on the Saturday morning, when the parade runs at ten, is the specific mistake to avoid.
Because Swiss families made up much of the immigration into this valley through the 1860s and 1870s, arriving with names including Gertsch, Huber, Kohler, Probst, Zenger, Durtschi and Abegglen, and they set the architectural and cultural pattern. Settlement itself began earlier, in 1859, when families took up ground along Snake Creek in two separate groups. The Swiss arrivals came into that valley and shaped what it looked like.
From a fort. The 1859 settlers formed two separate communities along Snake Creek, an Upper Settlement and a Lower Settlement, one of them known as Mound City for the limestone mounds in the fields. In 1866, during the Black Hawk War, the two agreed to build a single fort halfway, or midway, between them rather than fortifying twice. The name attached to the combined town, and Midway incorporated on 1 June 1891.
Local pot rock, which is the town's name for tufa, the pale limestone that Midway's geothermal springs precipitate as their water cools. The Recreation Center, dedicated in June 1941, has pot rock walls about two feet thick, with rustic timber lintels, half timbering and a steeply pitched roof. It was a Works Progress Administration project built with local labour, designed by Claude Shepherd Ashworth and built by Fredrick O. Hauter, and a 2011 seismic upgrade reinforced and re-pointed it.
One weekend a year, and a town the other fifty one.
The festival is the introduction. The questions that follow it are the ordinary ones: which streets sit inside the weekend road plan, what the valley floor does in January, whether a parcel can be rented nightly, and what the difference really is between an address here and one three miles east.
Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.
Come back on an ordinary Tuesday, and bring a question. I will find you the person to ask.