Skip to content

The Local

History Saratoga Springs

The resort closed in 1993 and the city incorporated in 1997

Beck's Saratoga Springs, and the city that inherited the name.

An apple orchard watered by warm springs in 1860, a sheep and charcoal lease in 1862, and then a mining fortune turned into a lakeside resort that opened on 24 July 1884 and ran for a hundred and nine seasons. A fire in 1968, floods in the mid 1980s, closure in 1993 and the buildings dismantled in 1995 after the ground was sold to housing developers. Here is the whole sequence, and an honest account of what you can and cannot visit today.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

Southern Utah is my home turf. Saratoga Springs is not, so these pages are researched rather than lived: checked against city, county and venue sources, and dated so you can see how fresh they are. For the on-the-ground work here I lean on a Utah County partner agent.

Start here


An orchard came first, and it was watered by the springs the city is named after.

The warm water at the northwest corner of Utah Lake was a working asset long before anybody thought of selling swims in it. In 1860 John Conrad Naile of Lehi bought the land around the springs and planted an apple orchard on it, irrigated by water that came out of the ground already warm. Two years later a German immigrant named John Beck leased the property and used it for sheep and for making charcoal, which is about as unglamorous a beginning as a resort town can claim.

Beck then went and got rich somewhere else. The Bullion Beck mine in the Tintic district made him one of the wealthier men in the territory, and when he came back to this shoreline he came back with capital. He bought more than a thousand acres along the lake and set about turning twenty seven acres of it, the ground immediately around the springs, into a resort.

The name was borrowed rather than invented. Beck called the place after Saratoga Springs in New York, at that time the most famous mineral springs resort in the United States, which is why a city on the west shore of Utah Lake carries the name of a spa town in the Adirondacks. Everything else about this city is thirty years old. The name is a hundred and forty.

From orchard to city

1860

Naile buys the springs and plants an apple orchard

24 July 1884

Beck's Saratoga Springs opens to about a thousand people

1993

the last season, after flood damage and fading crowds

1997

the surrounding ground incorporates and keeps the name

A hundred and nine seasons


Plunge baths, a dance hall and, at the very end, a 350 foot waterslide.

Beck's Saratoga Springs opened on 24 July 1884 with a reported thousand people on the ground, and it kept running under a series of owners until 1993. Across that span it was several completely different businesses wearing the same name, which is why accounts of it contradict each other so freely.

The 1880s and 1890sThe middle decadesThe late eraToday
Who held itJohn Beck, until his fortune went and he sold in 1900The Lehi Sugar Company, the Austin brothers and from 1930 the Eastmond familyThe Eastmond family, through to Mick Eastmond's sale in 1995A private residential community, on the ground the buildings stood on
What you came forTwo large plunges and, by the 1890s, six hot baths fed straight from the springsDance hall and pavilion, rowboats, a baseball field, shooting galleries, food stands and an arcadeAmusement rides, the pools, and a 350 foot waterslide called the KamikazeNothing, if you are not a resident. The water is behind a private gate
What ended itBeck lost his money in mining and sold outNothing; it simply kept changing handsFire in 1968, then the mid 1980s lake floods, then closure in 1993The buildings were dismantled in 1995 after the sale to housing developers
What survivesThe springs themselves, still coming out of the bankThe name, and the habit of driving here to get in warm waterPhotographs, newspaper files and a great many local memoriesA warm springs fed pool inside a private residential community, and free undeveloped pools on the public shoreline

Ownership sequence, features and dates as recorded in the Utah Historical Quarterly's account of John Beck, Saratoga Springs City's own history page and contemporary Deseret News reporting, checked 15 August 2026. Where secondary sources disagree on which amusement existed in which decade, the table follows the city and the Quarterly rather than the listing sites, and it does not attempt to pin features to exact years the record does not carry.

The fire, and then the water

The 1968 fire took two of the historic wooden structures: the dance pavilion, which by then was being run as an arcade, and the main building, which held the indoor pool, the dressing rooms, the ticket office and the snack bar. Damage was put at somewhere between fifty and a hundred thousand dollars, a chlorine tank caused a minor explosion, and nobody was hurt. The resort carried on, rebuilt around what was left.

The floods of the mid 1980s were the blow it did not come back from. Utah Lake rose and inundated the resort, and although it reopened, it never fully recovered its trade. It closed in 1993. In 1995 Mick Eastmond sold the ground to housing developers and the remaining buildings were dismantled, which is the moment the resort actually ended: not a bankruptcy, not a fire, but a sale into the subdivision boom that was about to build the city.

On the ground today


The old resort site is private, and the two places people mistake for it are not.

This is the part every article about the resort gets wrong, so here it is plainly. The ground the plunges and the pavilion stood on is now a private residential community. Saratoga Springs City's own history page describes the hot springs area as sitting inside a private development containing an outdoor pool, a clubhouse and a bowery and kitchen facility, and the community that runs it keeps a warm springs fed pool heated the year round, hot tubs, a clubhouse and a private members' marina. Community fees apply and it does not admit visitors. The old resort grounds are now a private residential community whose warm springs pool sits roughly where the resort's plunges did, near today's public marina parks.

The first thing people mistake for it is Inlet Park. Inlet Park is a separate public city park at 222 South Saratoga Road, it is free, it is open 6am to 10pm like every other city park, and it is the trailhead for the walk out to the undeveloped warm pools on the public shoreline. It has never been the resort site and the two are not the same ground. What that walk actually delivers, and the honest catch attached to it, is set out on the ranked list.

The second thing people mistake for it is the city marina. The city runs two public marina parks, North and South, and neither of them stands on the resort ground either. They are municipal boat ramps with a published fee card, and the private docks that also appear along this shoreline belong to residential communities rather than to the city. The marina parks page separates the public ramps from the private docks in detail, because on a map they look identical.

So the honest answer to the question everybody asks, which is whether you can swim where the resort was, is no. You can swim in warm water on the public shoreline, at pools nobody owns and nobody maintains, about a mile from where the plunges stood. That is a different thing, and it is the closest thing available.

Two things about this story send people to the wrong address, and one of them sends them to the wrong city. The historical marker for Beck's Saratoga Springs was unveiled on 7 August 2025 by the Lehi Historical Society, and it stands at 791 North 100 East in Lehi, on the site of John Beck's former home. It is not on this shoreline and there is nothing to read at the resort site itself. Separately, the resort ground is now inside a private residential community with its own pool, clubhouse and members' docks, so anybody who follows an old photograph to a modern map ends up at a private gate. The public warm water is reached from Inlet Park and lies outside the city boundary, and the public boat ramps are the two city marina parks. Those three are the only places on this shoreline the public can actually use.

What the resort became


The sale to developers in 1995 is where the modern city actually starts.

Most Utah cities trace themselves to a settlement party and a fort. This one traces itself to a swimming resort and a land sale, and the gap between the two dates is only two years wide.

The chain is unusually short. The buildings came down in 1995 because the ground had been sold to housing developers. The development interest that sale represented is what drove the surrounding farmland to organise itself, and Saratoga Springs incorporated as a town on the last day of December 1997. City status followed at the turn of the century. Since then the municipality has annexed its way to something over twenty square miles, running roughly eleven miles north to south from Pelican Point at the bottom to the Camp Williams boundary at the top.

That is why this city has no old part. There is no 1850s grid here, no pioneer fort site, no century old commercial block, because the ground was a resort, a farm and a lakeshore right up until the subdivisions arrived. The single piece of continuity between the nineteenth century and the twenty first is the water itself, which has been coming out of the same bank at the same temperature the entire time.

It also explains a habit that surprises newcomers. People have been driving to this exact shoreline specifically to get into warm water since 1884, and they still do, in numbers, on a Saturday morning, at pools with no changing rooms and no car park attendant. The resort is gone. The behaviour it created is not.

The resort closed four years before the city existed, and the city took its name anyway. That is the whole of Saratoga Springs in one sentence.

Quick answers


The resort, answered.

A lakeside resort built on the warm springs at the northwest corner of Utah Lake by John Beck, who had made a mining fortune at the Bullion Beck mine in the Tintic district. It opened on 24 July 1884 with a reported thousand people present, on twenty seven acres of a landholding of more than a thousand, and Beck named it after the famous mineral springs resort town of Saratoga Springs in New York. It ran under a series of owners for a hundred and nine seasons before closing in 1993.

It closed in 1993, and the buildings were dismantled in 1995. The sequence behind that is a fire in 1968 that destroyed the dance pavilion and the main building with the indoor pool in it, then the mid 1980s Utah Lake floods that inundated the site and cost it the trade it never fully regained. In 1995 Mick Eastmond sold the ground to housing developers and the remaining structures came down, which is the year the resort really ended rather than 1993.

No. The ground the resort stood on is now a private residential community with its own warm springs fed pool, clubhouse and private members' marina, community fees apply, and it does not admit visitors. There is no interpretive board and nothing to read on the site. What the public can reach is the undeveloped warm water on the shoreline, about a mile away, by way of the trail from Inlet Park, and the two municipal boat ramps at North Marina Park and South Marina Park.

In Lehi, not in Saratoga Springs. The Lehi Historical Society unveiled a marker for Beck's Saratoga Springs on 7 August 2025 at 791 North 100 East in Lehi, which is the site of John Beck's former home. Anybody who drives to the Saratoga Springs shoreline looking for it will not find it, because there is no marker on the resort ground and the resort ground itself is inside a private residential community.

It changed enormously across a hundred and nine seasons. The early resort ran two large plunges and, by the 1890s, six hot baths fed from the springs. The middle decades added a dance hall and pavilion, rowboats, a baseball field, shooting galleries, food stands and an arcade. The late era ran amusement rides and a 350 foot waterslide called the Kamikaze. The fire of 1968 took the dance pavilion, by then running as an arcade, and the main building with the indoor pool, dressing rooms, ticket office and snack bar.

Because it inherited the resort's name. John Beck named the twenty seven acres around the warm springs after Saratoga Springs in New York, then the most celebrated mineral springs resort town in the country. The resort carried that name from 1884 to 1993, the ground was sold to housing developers in 1995, and the surrounding farmland incorporated as a town on the last day of December 1997 and kept the name it had been living beside for a hundred and thirteen years.

No, and the distinction matters. The resort's plunges and hot baths were fed from the springs on the ground now occupied by a private residential community, whose own warm water pool sits roughly where they were. The pools the public can reach are undeveloped seeps on the shoreline about seven tenths of a mile there and back from the Inlet Park car park, and Saratoga Springs City states that only the trailhead is inside the city boundary. They are free, shallow, muddy bottomed and maintained by nobody.

A German immigrant who leased the springs property in 1862 for sheep and charcoal, then made a fortune in the Tintic mining district at the Bullion Beck mine, and put part of that fortune into more than a thousand acres on Utah Lake and the resort he opened on it in 1884. He lost his money afterwards and sold the resort in 1900, and it passed through the Lehi Sugar Company, the Austin brothers and, from 1930, the Eastmond family. The 2025 historical marker stands at his former home site in Lehi.

In a direct sense, yes. The 1995 sale of the resort ground to housing developers is the transaction the modern city grows out of: the development interest it represented pushed the surrounding farmland to incorporate, which happened on 31 December 1997, and the town took the resort's name. The municipality has since annexed to something over twenty square miles, running roughly eleven miles north to south from Pelican Point to the Camp Williams boundary. Almost nothing in the city predates the late 1990s except the water.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

The resort is gone. The reason people came is still coming out of the bank.

A hundred and forty years of people driving to this shoreline to get into warm water is a strange kind of continuity for a city where almost every building is younger than the century. If you are weighing an address here, the questions worth asking are which end of the eleven miles it sits on, what the approved plats say about the ground behind it, and which of the road projects around this city are funded rather than drawn. Tell me what you are looking at and I will put you with a Utah County partner agent who works this shoreline, and stay on the file for the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.