Skip to content

The Local

The canyon Weber and Morgan

Eight stops, mouth to dam

Ogden Canyon, mouth to dam.

Six miles of two lane road between east Ogden and Pineview Dam, cut by the Ogden River through rock that carries a 1937 water pipe 200 feet overhead, a 1865 lime kiln, a footpath older than the road, and the only direct route between the city and its valley. Here is the canyon as it stands in August 2026: the new 50 foot vehicle rule decoded, the waterfall explained honestly, the trailheads sourced at the land manager, and the construction that will shape the drive into 2029.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

Southern Utah is my home turf. Weber and Morgan counties are not, so these pages are researched rather than lived: checked against UDOT, the Forest Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, the resorts, the two counties and the cities, and dated so you can see how fresh they are. For the on-the-ground work here I lean on a local partner agent.

The short answer

Ogden Canyon is the six mile canyon of SR-39 between east Ogden and Pineview Dam: open year round, free, about eight minutes from downtown Ogden to the mouth and under twenty to the dam. The rule that catches people, in force since September 22, 2025: no vehicle or rig longer than a combined 50 feet, with the section called The Narrows posted at 35 mph. Checked August 2026.

Where SR-39 east from Ogden, milepost 7.713 at Harrison Blvd to 13.792 at Pineview Dam
From downtown Ogden About 3 miles, 8 minutes to the mouth; about 8 miles, 18 minutes to the dam
Season Year round; no scheduled closure, though rock or high water can shut it without notice
Cost Free; no fee at any canyon trailhead, checked August 2026
Status Open, with pipeline construction in the canyon into 2029; rigs over 50 feet combined banned since September 22, 2025

The live question


Can you tow a trailer up Ogden Canyon?

Only a short one. Since Monday, September 22, 2025, UDOT permanently prohibits any vehicle longer than a combined 50 feet from SR-39 between the canyon mouth and Pineview Dam, and combined is the word doing the work: a pickup pulling a boat, an RV towing a car, a truck and trailer all measure as the whole rig. The rule came out of an engineering analysis of The Narrows which found that rigs over 50 feet cannot get through some sections without crossing into the oncoming lane, and it arrived with a speed cut to 35 mph through The Narrows and radar feedback signs. UDOT's stated context for the whole package is a road safety statistic it publishes itself: five deaths in the canyon since 2015. The alternate route the agency names is I-84 through Weber Canyon and Trappers Loop, which adds miles but not much time.

Two stale versions of this rule are still circulating, and both will steer you wrong. Older encyclopedic sources describe a 75 foot limit for this stretch; that predates the September 2025 order, and the current number is 50. And do not confuse the canyon with SR-39's real seasonal gate: the winter closure on this route is the Monte Cristo section far east of Huntsville, mileposts 37 to 56, most recently reopened May 4, 2026. The canyon itself stays open all winter, takes no avalanche closures, and shuts only for what the mountain throws at it. All of this checked August 2026 at UDOT's Ogden Valley portal, which is the page to read the morning you drive.

Park at Rainbow Gardens and walk to the waterfall. Do not stop on the highway. The waterfall sits at a blind curve near the canyon mouth, on a two lane road UDOT just re-engineered for safety, and the drivers behind you include everyone who has not read this page. The posted 35 mph through The Narrows and the five fatalities since 2015 that UDOT cites as the reason for its 2025 rule changes are the context. The paved path from the Rainbow Gardens area reaches the fall in a few flat minutes, which makes stopping on the roadway not just illegal but pointless.

The list at a glance

The stopWhere in the canyonWhat it is
Rainbow Gardens and the canyon mouthMile 9a resort site since the 1890s, a 1897 powerplant, and the city line through the parking lot
The waterfallMile 9the fall everyone photographs, and the pipe that feeds it
The 1865 lime kilnNear the mouththe oldest structure in the canyon, restored stone by stone
The Indian TrailTwo trailheadsthe walking route that predates the road, kept by the trail foundation
The pipe over the roadOverheada 1937 siphon 200 feet up, and a 100 million dollar replacement underway
The Oaks, the Alaskan Inn, and the hotel that burnedMid canyona 1907 stop back from the dead, and a grill carrying a lost hotel's name
The riverThe canyon floorexpert whitewater nobody talks about, and pocket water fishing
The dam end and the fork in the roadMile 13.8where the canyon lands, the roads split, and a highway tunnel vanished

Eight stops, ordered from the canyon mouth at about milepost 9 to Pineview Dam at 13.792. The milepost figures are UDOT's own project limits; drive times are off-peak estimates from downtown Ogden, and active construction can add flagging delays that UDOT's own canyon paving documentation has put at fifteen minutes and more. The road rules, closures and business hours on this page each carry their checked date; UDOT's Ogden Valley portal carries today's.

Rainbow Gardens and the canyon mouth

Mile 9 a resort site since the 1890s, a 1897 powerplant, and the city line through the parking lot

The canyon announces itself before the first curve. Rainbow Gardens sits at 1851 Valley Drive where the walls close in, and the site has been in the entertainment business since the 1890s: a Victorian resort with private mineral baths and a dance hall stood here until it burned in 1927, a brick successor called El Monte Springs added a 100,000 gallon swimming pool before the Depression closed it in 1932, and Harman W. Peery, Ogden's cowboy mayor, revived it as Riverside Gardens in 1942. His son-in-law Robert W. King took over in 1946 and renamed it Rainbow Gardens, and the King family still runs it: a sprawling gift shop in the old ballroom, The Greenery restaurant, Rosie's Cafe and a retail arcade, all operating as of August 2026.

Two quieter landmarks share the mouth. PacifiCorp's Pioneer Powerplant has generated here since 1897, a 5 megawatt plant fed by a 72 inch steel flow line that runs 5.5 miles down the canyon from Pineview, which means this canyon carries a six foot power pipe and a three foot water main at the same time. And the thermal springs that started the whole resort era still seep at the canyon mouth, but the spring site is private property and posted, and it is not open to the public. Treat it as history, not a destination.

The details

Where 1851 Valley Dr, at the mouth of the canyon
From downtown Ogden About 3 miles, roughly 8 minutes east on 12th Street
Season Year round; individual shop and restaurant hours move, check before a trip
Cost Free to park and walk; the shops and restaurants price themselves
Time needed Half an hour for a look, half a day if the gift shop gets you

Getting there

Take 12th Street east from Washington Boulevard until it becomes SR-39 and meets the canyon, or come up Harrison Boulevard to Valley Drive. Older directions send you up 24th Street and Harrison because the state route ran that way before a 1964 realignment; the modern way in is 12th Street.

Before you go

  • The Ogden city limit runs through the canyon mouth: Rainbow Gardens sits inside Ogden city, while an address three miles up the canyon is unincorporated Weber County. An Ogden mailing address up here is not an Ogden jurisdiction.
  • The hot springs are private and posted. Do not go looking for them.
  • The paved Ogden River Parkway starts at the Rainbow Gardens lot and runs about ten miles west through the city, so the canyon mouth is also a trailhead.

The waterfall

Mile 9 the fall everyone photographs, and the pipe that feeds it

The waterfall on the south wall at the canyon mouth is the most photographed thing in the canyon, and the honest version is better than the postcard version: canyon accounts describe it as fed by an engineered overflow on the pipeline that runs down from Pineview Dam, which is why its flow tracks water demand rather than weather. On a high demand summer day it pours; in a quiet week it thins. Ogden City has not published its own account of the plumbing, so credit the explanation to the canyon community that documents it, and treat the mechanism as reported rather than official.

What that means for a visit is simple: the fall is a short, flat, free walk rather than a hike, and it is not guaranteed to be running on any particular day, especially while the city rebuilds the canyon pipeline through the late 2020s. Park at Rainbow Gardens or the small published lot at 1868 Valley Drive and walk up the paved path. Nobody publishes a height for it; it is tall enough to be worth the ten minutes, and that is the honest measurement available.

The details

Where South wall at the canyon mouth; parking published at 1868 Valley Dr
From downtown Ogden About 3.4 miles, roughly 8 minutes
Season Year round; flow varies with water demand and is strongest in spring, checked August 2026
Cost Free
Time needed Fifteen to thirty minutes

Getting there

Park at Rainbow Gardens or the 1868 Valley Drive lot and walk the paved path up the canyon's south side. The walk is flat, short and stroller friendly.

Before you go

  • Walk to it. The waterfall sits at a blind curve, and stopping on the highway to look is the mistake the road's own safety record argues against.
  • Do not confuse it with Waterfall Canyon, the bench hike off 29th Street in Ogden. Same city, different waterfall, different page.
  • If the fall is dry, the pipeline work is the likely reason; the mechanism that feeds it is part of the system being replaced through 2029.

The 1865 lime kiln

Near the mouth the oldest structure in the canyon, restored stone by stone

A stone lime kiln built in 1865 stands near the canyon mouth, and it was the second in the canyon, which is the better fact: this was an industrial corridor before it was a scenic one. James Moroni Thomas is credited among its builders, and accounts of the operation describe limestone layered with coal or wood, burned, then crushed to powder and hauled to the corner of 24th Street and Grant Avenue to be sold by the bushel to builders and white washers. One account puts output at 300 bushels of lime a day. The kilns went cold once Portland cement took over, and the Forest Service turned up a wagon axle and other artifacts at the site in the 1980s.

The restoration is a genuinely local story. Work began in 2003, coordinated by the Ogden Canyon Club and the Weber County Heritage Foundation, with stones gathered from surrounding canyons and riverbeds and a Weber County RAMP grant closing the budget. It finished in 2008, and the kiln was rededicated with a ceremonial fire described as the first in over a century. It stands about 25 feet tall by the community's own measure, a few minutes' walk from the mouth, free, and usually empty.

The details

Where North side near the canyon mouth, a short distance east of Rainbow Gardens
From downtown Ogden About 3.7 miles, roughly 9 minutes
Season Year round
Cost Free
Time needed Fifteen to twenty minutes

Getting there

Drive into the canyon from the mouth and watch the north side within the first half mile; the kiln stands close to the road with a historical marker nearby.

Before you go

  • It is a restored historic structure, not a climbing frame; it was tagged with graffiti in 2019 and the restoration community takes its condition personally.
  • Pair it with the waterfall walk; the two together make an easy hour at the canyon mouth.

The Indian Trail

Two trailheads the walking route that predates the road, kept by the trail foundation

Before there was a road in this canyon there was a footpath above it, and the Indian Trail, Forest Service trail 112, loosely traces it. The trail foundation that maintains it describes the route as the old Shoshoni path used to avoid the narrow and sometimes high water of Ogden Canyon, and the Forest Service's own description promises rock stairs, narrow tread and low overhangs, plus the ruins of mining works and a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps camp along the way. This is the canyon's signature hike precisely because it is not a groomed one.

It has two doors. The 22nd Street trailhead in east Ogden is a paved lot with a kiosk, and from there the trail climbs steeply into the canyon, crosses a ridge viewpoint, and drops into Cold Water Canyon. The canyon-side door is the Coldwater trailhead, on the south side of SR-39 just past the 11 mile marker, by the Smokey Bear sign; the Forest Service calls that 1.4 miles up the canyon. Published lengths disagree because people measure different trips: the maintainer calls the through route 4.3 miles with about 2,600 feet of climbing, a short out and back into Cold Water Canyon is much less, and a full 22nd Street traverse with the return is more. Treat them as different hikes sharing one trail.

Two honest caveats belong here. The Forest Service lists the trail as open to bikes and horses while the foundation that maintains it advises against both, and the reader gets both facts, not a resolution. And the Forest Service's own page tells hikers to wear sturdy boots and long pants because of rattlesnakes; when the land manager prints that, so does this page.

The details

Where 22nd Street trailhead in east Ogden, or the Coldwater trailhead just past the 11 mile marker on SR-39
From downtown Ogden About 2.5 miles, 7 minutes to 22nd Street; about 4.7 miles, 11 minutes to Coldwater
Season Spring through fall; snow lingers on the shaded side well into spring
Cost Free, no fee at either trailhead, checked August 2026
Time needed Two to six hours depending which of its trips you take

Getting there

For the canyon-side start, drive up SR-39 and park on the south side just past the 11 mile marker, by the Smokey Bear sign. The milepost is the landmark to trust; published mileages to this lot disagree with each other.

Before you go

  • The trail passes through Warm Water Canyon, where the climbing areas are closed; stay on the trail.
  • Carry more water than the distance suggests. The climb out of either end is steep and the tread is rough where the rock stairs run.
  • The Bonneville Shoreline Trail also touches the canyon mouth at 12th Street, which makes the mouth a junction of three systems: the paved parkway, the shoreline trail and this one. The bench trails themselves belong to their own page.

The pipe over the road

Overhead a 1937 siphon 200 feet up, and a 100 million dollar replacement underway

Look up in the middle of the canyon and there is a pipe crossing the sky: the Ogden Canyon Siphon, 360 feet long with most of its bulk suspended about 200 feet above the highway. The Bureau of Reclamation's project history dates it to the week of July 3, 1937, when the Dan Teters Company placed the first section of 31.5 inch plate steel on the suspension bridge built to carry it. The canyon has been a water corridor since 1891, and the infrastructure stories are better than most fiction: the original main was a 75 inch wood stave pipe, wooden slats bound with steel bands, six feet across; rockfall battered it in 1935, 1939, 1946 and 1964; a 1986 flood floated 300 feet of it out of the ground; and in July 1946 the wooden water main caught fire, and Forest Service firefighters helped put it out. Steel finally replaced the wood in December 1986.

The current chapter is the biggest live fact in the canyon. Ogden City is replacing the 36 inch transmission line that carries water from the Pineview wellfield through the canyon to the 23rd Street reservoirs, a roughly 100 million dollar program the city itemises at 34 million in state revolving loan funds, 42 million in a federal WIFIA loan, 10 million in state appropriations and 12 million in city ARPA money, with completion slated for February 2029. The city says the pipe is nearly 100 years old through the canyon and losing about a million gallons a day. Construction reaches the road: UDOT's project list notes temporary canyon closures for crane deliveries of pipe across the river. The city runs a project hotline at 801-838-8365 with a published 24 hour response commitment, which is the number a canyon buyer actually wants.

The details

Where Suspended above SR-39 mid canyon; visible from the road in both directions
From downtown Ogden Inside the canyon run, about 10 to 15 minutes out
Season Year round; it is architecture, not an attraction
Cost Free, from the car
Time needed Five minutes, and a passenger to do the looking

Getting there

There is no stop for it; the siphon crosses overhead partway up the canyon and the safe way to see it is from the passenger seat or from a legal pullout, not from a stopped car in the roadway.

Before you go

  • Expect intermittent construction presence in the canyon into the late 2020s; check UDOT's Ogden Valley portal before a trip that cannot absorb a delay.
  • The pipeline work is also why Pineview has been drawn far down; the reservoir side of that story belongs to the reservoirs page.

The Oaks, the Alaskan Inn, and the hotel that burned

Mid canyon a 1907 stop back from the dead, and a grill carrying a lost hotel's name

The canyon's grandest institution does not exist anymore. The Hermitage Hotel, built up from an old canyon camp by William Wilson from 1889, was the first hotel in the canyon and its most famous: dozens of guest rooms lit by electric chandeliers, dance nights, and Union Pacific side tours delivering Yellowstone-bound travellers up the canyon. Accounts disagree on its size, 60 rooms in one telling and more than 40 in another, which is its own lesson in canyon history. It sold for 4,800 dollars in 1936 and burned on January 4, 1939.

What survives is livelier. The Oaks, founded in 1907 as a mountain resort and describing itself as one of Utah's oldest restaurants still in operation, closed in 2021 and sat dark for four years before new owners reopened it on November 15, 2025; as of August 2026 it serves daily, noon to 8 on Mondays and 9 to 8 the rest of the week. Three miles further up, the Alaskan Inn runs 22 themed suites and cabins with live music on weekend evenings, and its on-site restaurant is called the Hermitage Grill, which is where the burned hotel's name quietly lives on, three miles up the same road.

The details

Where The Oaks at 750 Ogden Canyon; the Alaskan Inn at 435 Ogden Canyon
From downtown Ogden About 5 miles, 12 minutes to The Oaks; about 6.3 miles, 14 minutes to the inn
Season Year round; hours checked August 2026 and worth rechecking, both businesses
Cost Restaurant and lodging pricing
Time needed An hour or two for a meal; overnight for the inn

Getting there

Both sit directly on SR-39 in the canyon with their own lots. Note that groups over eight at The Oaks want 24 hours notice, per the restaurant's own site.

Before you go

  • The Alaskan Inn's address says Ogden and its parcel says unincorporated Weber County; canyon addresses are postal, not jurisdictional.
  • A century-old restaurant that survived a four year closure is worth planning around rather than assuming; confirm hours before driving up for a specific meal.

The river

The canyon floor expert whitewater nobody talks about, and pocket water fishing

The Ogden River through the canyon has a secret resume. American Whitewater, the national river stewardship organisation, lists a run called The Narrows from the Smokey Bear access to Rainbow Gardens: 1.4 miles rated Class IV to V, with named drops and a final choke where wood piles up, requiring a scout from the trail above. In high water years that wood has produced what paddlers politely call close calls. This page reports that the run exists because it is remarkable; it is expert water with real hazard, and it is not a recommendation.

The gentler river story is fishing. The canyon reach below Pineview is pocket water holding Bonneville cutthroat, brown trout and whitefish, with an angler access described beside the Alaskan Inn. Do not confuse this reach with the celebrated one: the Blue Ribbon designation people mention belongs to the restored urban stretch of the Ogden River downtown, west of the canyon mouth, not to the canyon itself. The stone walls that pin the river against the road are part of the canyon's Depression-era inheritance, reported as the work of the CCC camp whose ruins the Indian Trail passes.

The details

Where The Ogden River alongside SR-39, canyon mouth to dam
From downtown Ogden About 3 to 8 miles, 8 to 18 minutes depending on the reach
Season Fishing year round as regulations allow; the whitewater window is spring flow
Cost Free; a Utah fishing licence for the rod
Time needed An hour of fishing to a full paddling day

Getting there

Anglers use pullouts along the canyon and the access by the Alaskan Inn. Paddlers put in at the Smokey Bear sign across from the Coldwater trailhead and take out past the footbridge near Rainbow Gardens, per American Whitewater's own description.

Before you go

  • The whitewater run is Class IV to V with wood hazard. If you have to ask whether that is for you, it is not.
  • Check current Utah fishing regulations at the wildlife division before you fish; canyon-specific rules are theirs to set.

The dam end and the fork in the road

Mile 13.8 where the canyon lands, the roads split, and a highway tunnel vanished

The canyon does not fade out; it ends at a wall. Pineview Dam, a zoned earthfill built by 1936 and raised in 1957, stops the canyon at milepost 13.792, and the road forks at the junction there: SR-158 goes left and north across the dam toward Eden, Liberty and the Powder Mountain road, while SR-39 bends right and east along the south shore toward Huntsville. One vanished detail from the federal record deserves retelling: the original 1930s road crossed through a highway tunnel in the dam's right abutment, and the 1950s raise swallowed it, relocating the highway over the crest, where it still runs. There used to be a road tunnel at the top of Ogden Canyon, and a dam ate it.

The east end is also where the canyon's trail country begins. The Wheeler Creek system, reached from the old Snowbasin road above the junction, was deliberately built wide and easy by the Forest Service for shared foot, bike and horse use, the opposite philosophy from the Indian Trail; the Art Nord trailhead has vault toilets, no water and no fee, and the agency's own suggestion is a three to four hour shuttle trip down Wheeler Creek's 4.15 miles toward the dam. A word on winter driving that UDOT makes easy to get right: Ogden Canyon has no scheduled seasonal closure and is not an avalanche closure road, while SR-158 above it crosses seven slide paths and takes temporary avalanche closures. The canyon's own hazards are rock and water, on no schedule; in May 2023 the flooding river opened a void under the road and UDOT closed and reopened the canyon inside twelve hours.

The details

Where SR-39 milepost 13.792, at Pineview Dam and the SR-158 junction
From downtown Ogden About 8 miles, 17 to 18 minutes
Season Year round; SR-158 north of the junction takes avalanche holds in winter
Cost Free to drive through; reservoir day-use fees belong to the reservoirs page
Time needed Fifteen minutes for the view, or the start of a valley day

Getting there

Drive the canyon to its end and choose: left across the dam on SR-158 for Eden, Liberty and Powder Mountain, or right on SR-39 for Huntsville, Snowbasin's back way and the South Fork. For the Wheeler Creek trails, take the first Snowbasin turnoff on the right past the dam and follow the old road about three and a half miles to Art Nord.

Before you go

  • Do not confuse the canyon with the Monte Cristo winter gate: SR-39 does close seasonally, but far east of Huntsville, between mileposts 37 and 56, reopening around early May.
  • Coming from Salt Lake City or with anything long in tow, the right approach to this whole area is I-84 through Weber Canyon and Trappers Loop, not the canyon.
  • The reservoir behind the dam, its beaches and its fees are the reservoirs page's subject; this page hands off at the dam face.

The two ways in


Ogden Canyon or Trappers Loop, decided honestly.

Everything east of the dam can be reached two ways, and the choice is the region's oldest argument. It is younger than it looks: the paved Trappers Loop only opened in September 1989, after 14 million dollars and half a century of proposals, and until then the canyon was effectively the only paved way into the valley. The honest comparison runs like this.

Ogden Canyon (SR-39)Weber Canyon and Trappers Loop (I-84 + SR-167)
The route12th Street east from Ogden, six miles of canyon to the damI-84 up Weber Canyon to Mountain Green, then 11 miles of SR-167 over open ground
CharacterTwo lanes between rock and river, with The Narrows posted 35 mphFreeway, then a modern highway built to 1980s standards with room to breathe
Length rulesNo rig over a combined 50 feet, permanent since September 22, 2025The route UDOT itself names for anything longer
WinterNo scheduled closure and no avalanche program; closes without notice for rock or waterI-84 is the interstate; SR-167 takes weather but was engineered for it
From downtown OgdenThe short way: about 18 minutes to the damThe long way around: closer to 35 minutes to the same junction
When it winsLight vehicles from the Ogden side, and any day the drive is the pointTrailers, storm days, and everyone coming from Salt Lake City

Route facts from UDOT's Ogden Valley portal and its September 2025 restriction release, checked August 2026. Snowbasin's own published directions from Salt Lake City use I-84 and Trappers Loop, not the canyon, which tells you how the resorts see it.

Living with it


What the canyon does to an ordinary week.

For the Ogden side of the county the canyon is eight minutes of commute scenery and the fastest door to the valley's water and snow. For anyone living in the canyon or above it, it is a dependency: one road, no scheduled closure but no promises either, a marathon Saturday each May when the canyon closes for the morning and residents ride a shuttle, and a pipeline project overhead and underfoot into 2029. The practical habits are small: check UDOT's Ogden Valley portal on storm mornings, know that the length ban makes Trappers Loop the towing route year round, and treat the 35 mph through The Narrows as a floor for your patience rather than a ceiling on your rights.

For a buyer the canyon teaches a lesson that applies across both counties: the envelope is not the map. A canyon address reads Ogden, ZIP 84401, and sits in unincorporated Weber County, outside the city, outside the new Ogden Valley City, with services and rules that come from the county. The parcel viewer, not the mailing address, answers every question that matters, and the county's own tools are free. That habit, learned here, will save you twice more before this region's pages are done.

From your town


The same subject, from your own doorstep.

One city owns the mouth of this canyon and no city sits inside it. Ogden's door is its moving page, which puts the canyon where a household actually meets it: the east bench addresses that drive the first three miles as an errand, the 12th Street turn, and the trailheads that are ordinary street ends. Morgan never enters the canyon at all; its county reaches the valley by I-84 through Weber Canyon and Trappers Loop from Mountain Green, so its door here stays the county guide until that approach is the subject. The towns north along the bench will take their own doors as their pages arrive.

Quick answers


Ogden Canyon, answered.

Only if the whole rig measures 50 feet or less. Since September 22, 2025, UDOT permanently bans vehicles longer than a combined 50 feet from SR-39 between the canyon mouth and Pineview Dam, and combined means truck plus trailer, RV plus tow car, all of it. UDOT's named alternate is I-84 through Weber Canyon and Trappers Loop. Older sources still describe a 75 foot limit; that number is stale, and the current rule is 50.

Not on a schedule. The canyon has no seasonal closure and UDOT does not run avalanche closures on it; the winter gate people half remember is the Monte Cristo section of SR-39, far east of Huntsville between mileposts 37 and 56, which closes from late November and most recently reopened May 4, 2026. What the canyon does instead is close without notice for rockfall or flood damage, as it did for about eleven hours in May 2023 when the river opened a void under the road, so check UDOT's Ogden Valley portal on rough mornings.

At the canyon mouth on the south wall, with parking published at 1868 Valley Drive and more room at Rainbow Gardens; a flat paved path covers the short distance. Canyon accounts describe the fall as fed by an engineered overflow on the Pineview pipeline, so its flow follows water demand rather than weather, strongest in spring and thinner in quiet weeks. Do not stop on the highway for it; the curve is blind and the walk is easy.

The Ogden Canyon Siphon, part of the Bureau of Reclamation's Ogden River Project: about 360 feet of steel pipe, most of it hanging roughly 200 feet above the highway, placed in July 1937. It is the visible piece of a water corridor that has run through this canyon since 1891 and once used a 75 inch wooden pipe that famously caught fire in 1946. The working pipeline beneath the canyon is being replaced through about February 2029 in a roughly 100 million dollar Ogden City program.

About six miles by UDOT's own project limits, which run from Harrison Boulevard at milepost 7.713 to Pineview Dam at 13.792; the enclosed canyon proper begins near milepost 9, about a mile east of the city. Off peak it is an eight minute drive from downtown Ogden to the mouth and under twenty minutes to the dam, with construction days adding real flagging delays.

The Indian Trail, Forest Service trail 112, is the canyon's own hike, with a paved trailhead at 22nd Street in Ogden and a canyon-side start just past the 11 mile marker; it climbs the old walking route above the canyon past the ruins of a 1930s CCC camp. The canyon mouth also hosts the eastern trailhead of the paved Ogden River Parkway and a Bonneville Shoreline Trail access at 12th Street, and the Wheeler Creek system waits at the canyon's far end. The bench trails above the city belong to their own page.

Yes. The 1907 canyon institution closed in 2021 and reopened November 15, 2025 under new ownership; as of August 2026 its published hours are Monday noon to 8 pm and Tuesday through Sunday 9 am to 8 pm, with 24 hours notice requested for groups over eight. Confirm before driving up for a specific meal, because canyon business hours move with the seasons.

No. There are no campgrounds in the canyon itself; the Forest Service's developed sites sit past the dam around Pineview and up the South Fork, and those belong to the reservoirs page. What the canyon offers instead is day use: the waterfall walk, the kiln, the trailheads and two restaurants, all within twenty minutes of downtown Ogden.

One Saturday in mid May, for the morning. The GOAL Foundation's race runs from the Huntsville area down the canyon to a 25th Street finish, and race coverage describes the canyon closing from early morning to about 1:30 pm with a Highway Patrol shuttle for canyon residents; the 2026 running was May 16. The organiser publishes each year's date and closure details at ogdenmarathon.com, and that page, not this one, is the source for next year.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

One road between the city and its valley. Know which side of it you want to live on.

The canyon decides more than a drive: it splits the region into the city side, with the bench and the parkway at the door, and the valley side, where every errand includes six miles of SR-39 or the long way around Trappers Loop. If you are weighing Ogden against the valley towns, the practical city guides carry prices and neighborhoods, and when you want ground truth a local partner agent walks it with you while I stay on the file for the research and the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.