Skip to content

The Local

Where it started Plain City

An 1858 scouting trip, a company from Lehi, a fort-grid plat and a canal to the Ogden River

The founding of Plain City, an 1859 farm town still laid out on its fort grid.

Plain City began in the spring of 1859, when a small company from Lehi settled ground scouted the previous fall and recommended by Lorin Farr, Ogden's first mayor. They laid out a fort-style grid of five acre blocks around Town Square, farmed the one mile Big Field to the east in common, and dug a nine mile canal to the Ogden River to bring in the water the lake plain did not provide. The town was named in May 1859 and incorporated in 1944. Here is how it began, what survives, and the two dates people still get wrong.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

The short answer

Plain City was settled on 17 March 1859 by a small company from Lehi, on ground scouted the previous fall and recommended by Lorin Farr, Ogden's first mayor. They laid out a fort-style grid of five acre blocks around Town Square, farmed the one mile Big Field to the east in common, and dug a nine mile canal to the Ogden River between 1859 and 1862 to bring in the water the lake plain did not provide. The town took its name in May 1859 and incorporated in 1944. The 1877 date that circulates is not an incorporation; it is when the local ward got a new bishop. Checked August 2026.

Where Town Square and the core grid, Plain City
From city hall About half a mile to the old core
Season Year round; a half-hour walk in mild weather
Cost Free, self-guided
Time needed Half an hour on foot to read the grid

The live question


When was Plain City founded, and is the 1877 date people cite correct?

The founding date is 17 March 1859, when the first company from Lehi arrived after a seven-day journey, on ground a scouting party had looked over the previous fall. The settlement was recommended by Lorin Farr, Ogden's first mayor, and it took the name Plain City at its first organized meeting that May. Those are the dates the city and the Daughters of Utah Pioneers history agree on.

The 1877 date is the one to be careful with. It gets printed here and there as a town incorporation, and it is not one. Eighteen seventy seven is the year Lewis W. Shurtliff was made bishop of the Plain City Ward, a church appointment rather than a civic one. The town itself did not incorporate as a city until 1944, eighty five years after it was settled. So there are three dates worth keeping straight: settled in 1859, named in 1859, and incorporated in 1944.

The long gap between settlement and incorporation is not an oversight; it is the shape of the place. For most of its first century Plain City was a farm settlement that did not need to be a city. It had its square, its common field, its canal and its ward, and the machinery of a municipal government came late, in 1944, as the wider valley grew up around it. The 1944 date is the city's own, on its About page.

Everything else on this page, the plat, the Big Field and the canal, comes from the history kept by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Plain City Camp, and published on the city's own site. It is a well documented founding for a town this size, and it is worth reading before you walk the grid. The city keeps that history online. Checked August 2026.

The founding


From a scouting trip in 1858 to a city in 1944, in the order it happened.

The dates and the detail below come from the history the Daughters of Utah Pioneers kept for Plain City and the city publishes, and from the city's own About page. Read August 2026.

WhenWhat happenedThe detail
Fall 1858A scouting party looks over the siteMen from Lehi explore the lake-plain ground the next spring's settlers will take
17 March 1859The first company arrivesAbout a dozen people, after a seven-day journey from Lehi, on ground Lorin Farr recommended
May 1859The settlement is organized and namedAt the first meeting, led by Lorin Farr and Bishop Chauncy W. West, the place is named Plain City
1859 to 1862The canal reaches the Ogden RiverA nine mile ditch dug by hand, reaching Four Mile Creek in 1859, Mill Creek in 1860, Broom's Creek in 1861 and the Ogden River in 1862
1877A new ward bishop, not an incorporationLewis W. Shurtliff is made bishop of the Plain City Ward, the date sometimes wrongly printed as a town incorporation
1944Plain City incorporates as a cityThe farm town becomes a legal municipality, eighty five years after settlement

From the Daughters of Utah Pioneers history for Plain City, published on the City of Plain City's own site, and the city's About page, read August 2026. The canal chronology and the plat are from the same history; the 1944 incorporation is the city's own date.

Two things about that sequence are worth pausing on. The first is how fast the water came. Within weeks of arriving in the spring of 1859 the settlers were digging a canal, because a lake-plain town with no canyon stream had to go and get its water before it could grow anything. The canal advanced a few miles a year and reached the Ogden River in 1862, and it is the single decision the whole town was built around.

The second is the gap between 1859 and 1944. A settlement became a city only when the surrounding valley made it necessary, and the eighty five years in between are the years Plain City was purely a farm town, run by its ward and its irrigation company rather than by a city hall. That history is why the town still feels like a farm town today, even as it grows.

Two of the facts most often printed about Plain City's founding are wrong, and both still circulate. The first is the date. An incorporation of 1877 gets attached to Plain City here and there; it is not one. Eighteen seventy seven is the year Lewis W. Shurtliff was made bishop of the local ward, a church appointment, and the town did not incorporate as a city until 1944. The settlement date is 17 March 1859, and the two should not be confused. The second is a name: the one mile square the settlers farmed in common is the Big Field, and although one old transcription renders it as the Bug Field, the founding accounts and the city's own summary call it the Big Field. When you meet either error, the city's own history and About page are the record.

The founding, in numbers

1859

the year a company from Lehi settled the site, on 17 March

1944

the year Plain City incorporated, not the 1877 that circulates

9 miles

the length of the canal the settlers dug to the Ogden River

5 acres

the size of each block on the original fort-style plat

The fort grid


What survives from 1859, and how to read it on foot.

The thing that survives most clearly from 1859 is the shape of the town. The settlers laid out a fort-style plat, houses drawn close around a central square for safety on open ground, six blocks long and three wide, running north and south. Each block was five acres and divided into four lots, and Town Square anchored the whole plan. The fort walls are long gone, but the grid is not: the wide streets and large lots of the old core are that original survey, and they are why Plain City's center feels so much more spread out than an ordinary downtown.

East of the townsite the settlers laid the Big Field, one mile square, farmed in common, running from the cemetery corner north to the old north school house, with stock turned in to graze it after the harvest. It is private farm ground today and not a place to walk onto, but its shape is still legible from the public roads, and it explains the logic of the whole settlement: houses on the square, fields to the east, and water carried in from the north by canal.

That logic is why Plain City sits where it does. A lake-plain settlement had no canyon stream to divert, so the founders drew their town around a square, put their common field where the ground was good, and went and got their water. Read the grid on foot and the whole plan makes sense. The ranked page carries the walk as one of its picks.

The details

Where Town Square and the core grid, Plain City
From city hall About half a mile
Season Year round; best in mild weather
Cost Free, self-guided
Time needed Half an hour to an hour

Getting there

Town Square sits in the older core of the grid, roughly half a mile from city hall at 4160 West and 2200 North. Park on a public street near the square and walk the surrounding blocks on foot; the wide streets and five acre lots are the 1859 plat itself. Keep to the public roads, because the Big Field to the east is private farmland and the canal is working infrastructure.

Before you go

  • There is no visitor center and no marked trail; this is a self-guided walk and the streets are the exhibit.
  • Read the block sizes as you go. Five acre blocks are why the old core feels so open compared with a normal downtown.
  • Town Square is the historic anchor of the plan; the surrounding blocks are the original survey.
  • Stay on public streets. The Big Field and the canal banks are private, working ground.
  • Pair the walk with the founding timeline above so you know what you are looking at.

The canal


How a lake-plain town got its water, and why it came from the north.

The single most consequential thing the first settlers did was dig a canal. Plain City sits on the flat of the lake plain with no mountain stream of its own, so within weeks of arriving the founders began cutting a channel to bring water in from the Ogden River to the north and east. Work started in May 1859, and the canal advanced year by year: reaching Four Mile Creek that first season, Mill Creek by 1860, Broom's Creek by 1861, and finally the Ogden River in 1862.

The result was a nine mile canal, dug by hand, feeding a web of irrigation ditches across the townsite and the Big Field. It is the reason a farm town could exist here at all, and it is still doing its job: the same canal and its ditches carry irrigation water across the grid today, under the Plain City Irrigation Company. What that arrangement means for a modern household, and how it sits alongside the town's two other water systems, is on the land and water page.

For a visitor, the canal is a thing to trace rather than to visit. It is working infrastructure, not a park, and its banks are private. But you cross it and run alongside it on the grid roads north and east of the townsite, and understanding that the water comes in from the north rather than falling out of a canyon is the key to reading this whole landscape. The town was drawn around a square, fed from a field, and watered from the north, and all three are still visible.

Living with it


An 1859 grid you can still walk, and a founding the town has kept.

For a household living here, the founding is not a museum piece; it is the shape of daily life. The wide streets and large lots of the old core are the 1859 plat, and they are a real part of why people choose Plain City over a denser subdivision a few miles east. The Big Field and the canal are the working farm landscape the town has kept even as it grows, and Town Square is still a public green in the middle of it.

The story also does a useful job of correcting a couple of things a newcomer will hear. The town was settled in 1859 and incorporated in 1944, not 1877; the field is the Big Field, not the Bug Field; and the water has always come in from the north by canal, which is still true and still matters. Knowing that is a good part of knowing the town.

The founding also explains the water arrangement a modern buyer has to sort out, because the canal the settlers dug is still the backbone of the secondary irrigation that keeps the town's yards and fields green. The land and water page takes that forward into the present, and the ranked page turns the old grid into an afternoon on foot.

Plain City was drawn on paper in 1859 as a fort-grid farm town, and the remarkable thing is how much of that drawing you can still walk. The blocks, the square, the field and the canal are all still there, still doing the jobs they were laid out to do.

Quick answers


The founding, answered.

On 17 March 1859, when the first company from Lehi arrived after a seven-day journey, on ground a scouting party had looked over the previous fall. The settlement was recommended by Lorin Farr, Ogden's first mayor, and it took the name Plain City at its first organized meeting that May. Those dates come from the Daughters of Utah Pioneers history the city publishes and from the city's own About page, which agree on 1859 for the settlement and the naming.

In 1944, eighty five years after it was settled. That is the city's own date, on its About page. The 1877 date that sometimes gets printed as an incorporation is not one: it is the year Lewis W. Shurtliff was made bishop of the Plain City Ward, a church appointment. For most of its first century Plain City was a farm settlement run by its ward and its irrigation company rather than by a city government, and it incorporated only in 1944 as the surrounding valley grew up around it.

The first settlers were a small company from Lehi, about a dozen people, who arrived in March 1859. The settlement was recommended by Lorin Farr, who was Ogden's first mayor, and it was organized and named at a meeting in May 1859 led by Farr and Bishop Chauncy W. West. Farr's role is why the founding is tied to Ogden's early leadership; the day-to-day settling was done by the Lehi families who made the seven-day journey north and dug the first ditches.

On a fort-style plat: houses drawn close around a central square for safety on open ground, six blocks long and three wide, running north and south. Each block was five acres, divided into four lots, and Town Square anchored the plan. The fort walls are long gone, but the grid survives, and the wide streets and large lots of the old core are that 1859 survey. It is why the center of Plain City feels so much more spread out than an ordinary downtown, and it is a genuinely interesting thing to walk.

The Big Field is the one mile square east of the original townsite that the settlers farmed in common, running from the cemetery corner north to the old north school house, with stock turned in to graze it after the harvest. It is private farm ground today, so it is not a place to walk onto, but its shape is still legible from the public roads. Note the name: one old transcription renders it as the Bug Field, but the founding accounts and the city's own summary call it the Big Field.

It is the nine mile canal the settlers dug by hand to bring water in from the Ogden River, because a lake-plain town had no mountain stream of its own. Work began in May 1859 and the canal advanced year by year, reaching Four Mile Creek in 1859, Mill Creek in 1860, Broom's Creek in 1861 and the Ogden River in 1862. It fed a web of irrigation ditches across the town and the Big Field, and it is still in use today, run by the Plain City Irrigation Company. It is working infrastructure rather than a park, so trace it from the public roads.

The settlement took the name Plain City at its first organized meeting in May 1859, led by Lorin Farr and Bishop Chauncy W. West. The name describes the ground: the town sits on the open flat of the lake plain, without a canyon or a bench to define it, and the founders named it for exactly that. The city's own history records the naming at that 1859 meeting, which is the same meeting at which the settlement was organized.

Yes, and it is the best free thing to do in town. Town Square and the surrounding blocks in the older core are the original 1859 plat, and a slow half hour on foot around them, reading the wide streets and the five acre lots, is a genuine way to understand the settlement. There is no visitor center and no marked trail; it is a self-guided walk on public streets. Keep off the Big Field to the east and the canal banks, which are private, working farm ground rather than public space.

Local and city accounts note that the trucking companies C.R. England, Swift Transportation and Knight Transportation each trace their founding to people from Plain City. That is a fact about the town's past, part of its local heritage, rather than a claim about who works or lives here now, and the companies and families grew far beyond the town long ago. It is worth treating as a piece of history to verify at the companies themselves rather than as a current-employer story about the town today.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

A founding you can still walk and a water story that still shapes the town.

The history of Plain City is not just a plaque; it is the reason the town looks and works the way it does, and it feeds directly into the questions a buyer weighs here. Whether a lot sits in the old 1859 core, with its wide streets and large lots, or on the new ground filling in west and north, because those are two different ages of the same town. How the canal the settlers dug still supplies the secondary water that keeps a yard green, which is a live question on any lot. And what the farm-grid landscape and the open west edge mean for a specific parcel. Tell me what you are weighing and I will introduce you to a Weber and Morgan partner agent who knows these blocks, and stay on the file for the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.