The creek that named a town
Settled 1853 William Plummer Tippets Three miles south of Box Elder
Long before it was Perry, the place was Three Mile Creek, and the name was as literal as it sounds. A stream ran down out of the Wasatch foothills and crossed the bench roughly three miles south of the older settlement of Box Elder, the town we now call Brigham City. Settlers measured the distance, named the creek for it, and let the name spread to the ground around it.
The first cabin went up in 1853, built by William Plummer Tippets on that creek. It was a small start, a single family on a farming bench between the mountains and the Bear River delta, but it fixed the spot and the name in the record. Others followed, and Three Mile Creek grew into a scatter of farms, dairies, and orchards along the base of the range.
That is the first thing to understand about Perry: its oldest identity is a creek, not a person. The human name came later, and by then the town had already answered to Three Mile Creek for a full generation.
The details
The short version
- Three Mile Creek was named for a stream about three miles south of old Box Elder.
- William Plummer Tippets built the first cabin there in 1853.
- The farming settlement carried the creek's name for the next forty-five years.
Gustavus Adolphus Perry and the 1854 branch
A branch organized 1854 The Presiding Elder The family behind the name
The name Perry entered the story through a family, not a lone founder. When a Latter-day Saint branch was organized at Three Mile Creek in 1854, Gustavus Adolphus Perry was set apart as its Presiding Elder, the local church leader for the small settlement. He and his family were among the households that put down roots on the bench in those first years.
For the next several decades the settlement stayed Three Mile Creek in name while the Perry family became part of its fabric. That distinction matters, because when the community finally changed its name it reached for the family that had helped lead it rather than for a distant figure or a passing fashion.
You will sometimes see the renaming credited to a single individual with different initials. The better-sourced accounts tie the name to the Perry family and to Gustavus Adolphus Perry as its early Presiding Elder, and that is the version worth trusting.
The details
A name worth attributing
Because early-town naming stories blur easily, it is fair to say plainly where this one lands: the dominant, better-sourced account credits the Perry family and Gustavus Adolphus Perry, not the differently-initialed individual a stray source names.
From Three Mile Creek to Perry in 1898
Renamed 1898 For the Perry family Incorporated, reportedly, in 1911
The change came in 1898. After forty-five years as Three Mile Creek, the community was renamed Perry for the Perry family, closing the gap between the place and the people who had helped settle and lead it. A creek name gave way to a family name, and the town has been Perry ever since.
The rename did not change what the town was. Through the turn of the century Perry stayed a bench community of farms and orchards, strung along what would become US-89, close enough to Brigham City to share its trade and its rhythm. Incorporation as a town is commonly reported as 1911, though that date is one worth confirming with the city rather than taking as settled.
What did change, slowly, was the town's center of gravity. The orchards and dairies that defined Three Mile Creek gave way over the following century to a residential, commuter Perry, its newer homes climbing the eastern foothills above the old farm ground. The name Perry rode through all of it.
The details
A date worth hedging
The 1898 renaming and the 1853 settlement are the firmly fixed dates in Perry's story. The commonly cited 1911 incorporation is the softer one, reported on the city's own stat strip but not everywhere confirmed, so it is worth a check before leaning on it.
An orchard bench that turned commuter town
Dairies and orchards Utah's fruit belt A residential town today
For most of its life the ground that is now Perry was farmed. Dairies, cattle, and fruit orchards spread across the bench, and the roadside stands along US-89 were part of a longer belt of orchard country that older writers called Utah's fruit belt, running north toward Idaho. Perry's own stretch of stands is still a summer fixture on the highway.
That agricultural bench is the through-line from Three Mile Creek to the present. The same well-drained slopes that grew cherries and peaches now hold subdivisions, and the town reads today as a quiet, mostly residential address rather than a farm community. The orchards have thinned, but the shape of the land they were planted on is still what you drive through.
The corridor of stands is a county-wide story rather than a Perry-only one. If you want the run of who is selling what along the highway, that belongs to the Fruit Way, which the county overview covers as its own subject.
The details
Getting the fruit run
Perry's stands are one stretch of a longer corridor. For the corridor as a whole, from cherries in June to pumpkins in October, see the county's Fruit Way guide; this page keeps to Perry's own history.
Where the old name still lives
The elementary school The city gun range The Perry Canyon Trail
The clearest proof that Three Mile Creek never fully left is on the signs. Three Mile Creek Elementary carries the old name for a new generation of students, and the Perry City Three Mile Creek Gun Range, a public outdoor range in the foothills, carries it too. A creek that named a whole town in 1853 still names the places the town uses now.
The creek itself is still there, running down the canyon above the neighborhoods. The Perry Canyon Trail follows that drainage up into the Cache National Forest and ties into the Bonneville Shoreline Trail along the bench. Be honest with yourself about it, though: this is a strenuous foothill climb, not a gentle streamside walk, and there is no easy named creek path despite the tempting name.
Put together, the school, the range, and the trail are why Three Mile Creek reads as a living name rather than a historical footnote. The town changed what it called itself in 1898, but it never stopped using the older name for the pieces closest to the creek.
The details
Before you go
- Three Mile Creek Elementary and the city gun range both carry the pre-1898 name.
- The Perry Canyon Trail follows the creek but is a stiff climb, not a flat creek walk.
- There is no gentle "Three Mile Creek Trail"; do not plan on a streamside stroll.
- Range hours, seasons, and fees change, so confirm them before you go.