Skip to content

The Local

Landmark Providence

A pioneer landmark, with a fact block and the full timeline

The Old Rock Church in Providence.

On the corner of Main and Center stands a reddish limestone chapel the town voted to build in the fall of 1869. Settlers quarried the stone out of the mountainside to the east, laid up walls thirty inches thick and twenty feet tall, and finished the building in the early 1870s as a church, a town hall, a theater and a dance floor all at once. The congregation sold it in 1968, and after a run of second lives it now runs as a bed and breakfast and event center. Here is how it was built, what makes the walls remarkable, and what you can and cannot see today.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

The short answer

The Old Rock Church is the oldest and most recognizable building in Providence, a reddish limestone chapel the townspeople voted to build on November 8, 1869 and raised over the next few years. Its walls are about thirty inches thick and twenty feet tall, quarried from the mountain directly east of town. For nearly a century it was the local meetinghouse and the town's hall, theater and dance floor, until the congregation sold it in 1968. It has been a fabric store, a private residence and an assisted living house since, and today it operates as a bed and breakfast and event center. You can admire the stonework from the sidewalk any time; seeing the inside means booking a stay or an event, because it is a private business rather than a public museum.

Where 10 South Main Street, at the corner of Main and Center in Providence
From central Providence You are there; the church anchors the town's original Main Street grid
Built Voted on November 8, 1869, and finished in the early 1870s
On the register Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1982
Today A private bed and breakfast and event center, not a public museum

The short version, in dates

  1. 1859  Orson Hyde renames the Spring Creek settlement Providence
  2. 1869  The town votes on November 8 to build a rock meetinghouse
  3. Early 1870s  Settlers finish the chapel, walls thirty inches thick
  4. 1926  A south wing is added for classroom space
  5. 1968  The congregation sells the building to a private owner
  6. 1982  The chapel and wing join the National Register
  7. Today  A bed and breakfast and event center on Main Street

How it was built


Built by a vote, then by hand.

Providence had been settled about ten years when its congregation decided the town needed a real building. On November 8, 1869, the members voted to stop meeting in cramped quarters and raise a proper rock meetinghouse. That vote is the birthday everyone in town still cites, and it is why the year 1869 is worked into the name and the signage today.

Who built it

The work went up under the direction of Bishop William Budge, with James Henry Brown as head mason. The stone came off the mountain directly to the east, quarried from Dry Pole Canyon, a reddish limestone the settlers hauled down and dressed by hand. It took a few years and roughly twelve to thirteen thousand dollars of 1870s money, a serious sum for a young farm town, and the walls they laid are the reason the building is still standing more than a century and a half later.

A church and a town hall at once

What they got for the effort was not just a chapel. The building had a plank dance floor, a stage and proscenium at the east end, and a pump organ, so it served as the town's theater and dance hall as much as its church. In a valley town with no other large public room, one stone building carried worship, plays, socials and public meetings, which is exactly why it sat at the center of Providence life for the better part of a hundred years.

The build, in brief

Where10 South Main Street, on the mountain side of the Providence grid
VotedNovember 8, 1869
FinishedThe early 1870s
Directed byBishop William Budge, with head mason James Henry Brown
StoneReddish limestone quarried from Dry Pole Canyon, just east

The architecture


Thirty inch walls, built to last.

The thing to notice first is the mass of the place. The exterior walls are about thirty inches thick and twenty feet tall, dry, dense limestone that holds heat in summer and cold in winter and has needed remarkably little to keep standing. Up close the stone reads reddish and rough, cut and fitted by hand rather than milled, and the corners are square and heavy in a way modern construction rarely bothers with.

The 1926 south wing

The chapel did not stay a single room forever. In 1926 the congregation added a south wing for classroom space, matching the older stonework closely enough that a passing visitor reads the whole thing as one building. That wing is part of what is protected today, not a detail bolted on and ignored.

On the National Register

Both the original chapel and the 1926 wing were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, under the formal name Providence LDS Chapel and Meetinghouse. The listing recognizes the building for its architecture and its history, and it is the reason later owners have kept the stone shell intact through every change of use.

The building, in brief

WallsAbout thirty inches thick and twenty feet tall, hand cut limestone
Stone colorReddish, quarried east of town
AddedA south classroom wing in 1926
ListedNational Register of Historic Places, 1982
Register nameProvidence LDS Chapel and Meetinghouse

A century of uses


One roof, and a long second life.

For its first century the Old Rock Church was the town's one big room. When the congregation outgrew it and sold it in 1968, the stone shell stayed put while the inside was reinvented again and again. The exact dates of the middle chapters are not well recorded, so the table keeps to what is certain and leaves the rest honest.

Era What it was Notes
Early 1870s to 1968Church, town hall, theater and dance floorThe Latter-day Saint meetinghouse and the center of Providence life
From 1968A fabric store with a reception hallThe congregation sold the building to a private owner
In the years afterA private residence, then an assisted living houseLived in, then run as a care home, always inside the old walls
TodayA bed and breakfast and event centerGuest rooms upstairs and a banquet hall in the original chapel

Why it survived

Thirty inch stone walls are expensive to remove and easy to reuse, so every owner kept the shell and changed only what was inside. The National Register listing in 1982 added a reason to protect it on purpose.

The original room

The chapel with its tall windows and high ceiling is still the largest space in the building, which is why it works as a banquet hall now much as it worked as a dance floor in the 1870s.

What changed

Interiors, plumbing and rooms came and went with each use, from store shelving to care-home hallways to guest rooms. The stone outside is close to what the settlers laid.

The town that named it


A place that called itself Providence.

The church cannot really be told apart from the town, and the town got its name a decade before the first stone was laid. The settlement started as Spring Creek in 1859. That November, the visiting apostle Orson Hyde looked at the ground it sat on, an elbow of the mountains that struck him as a providential spot, and renamed it Providence. The name stuck, and the Old Rock Church became the thing that name points at.

Spring Creek, renamed

Orson Hyde organized the local ward on November 14, 1859 and chose the name, writing that the settlement sat in an elbow of the mountains and seemed providential. Providence has carried it ever since.

A story the town keeps

Local tradition holds that Brigham Young struck the outside corner of the building with his cane and declared the walls would stand for centuries. It is folklore, passed down rather than documented, but the walls have in fact stood more than a century and a half.

Why it still stands out

Providence grew into a valley-floor town of quiet streets and new subdivisions, but the stone chapel is still the oldest thing on Main. It is the landmark people give directions by and the reason visitors slow down downtown.

Visiting today


Seeing the Old Rock Church now.

The building currently operates as a bed and breakfast and event center at 10 South Main Street. The guest rooms fill the upper floors and the original chapel serves as a banquet hall for weddings and gatherings. It is a working private business, not a museum with a ticket window, so plan accordingly.

It is private, so there are no drop-in tours. The Old Rock Church is a bed and breakfast and event venue rather than a public historic site, which means no set visiting hours and no walk-in tours of the interior. The stone exterior is easy to admire from the public sidewalk on Main Street any time of year.

To see inside, book or ask first. The way in is to reserve a room, hold an event there, or contact the current owners ahead of time. Details and availability change, so confirm directly before you build a trip around going inside.

If you are just passing through, the honest plan is a slow walk past the corner of Main and Center to take in the stonework, then the rest of the town from there. What else is worth the stop, the canyon trail, the parks and the Main Street grid, is laid out on the things to do in Providence guide.

If you go

Where10 South Main Street, Providence, at Main and Center
From central ProvidenceYou are there, on the original Main Street grid
The exteriorVisible from the public sidewalk year round
AccessA private bed and breakfast and event center, not a museum
To see insideBook a stay or an event, or contact the owners first

Quick answers


The Old Rock Church, answered.

It is the oldest landmark building in Providence, a reddish limestone chapel that the town's Latter-day Saint congregation voted to build on November 8, 1869 and finished in the early 1870s. For nearly a century it served as the meetinghouse and the town's hall, theater and dance floor. It stands at 10 South Main Street and today operates as a private bed and breakfast and event center.

Church members voted to build it on November 8, 1869, and settlers raised the walls over the next few years, finishing in the early 1870s. A south wing was added in 1926 for classroom space. Some records date the completion to 1873, so the honest answer is that it went up across the early 1870s.

The stone exterior is easy to admire from the public sidewalk on Main Street any time of year, but the building is a private bed and breakfast and event center rather than a public museum, so there are no set visiting hours or drop in tours. To see the inside, book a stay or an event, or contact the current owners first.

No. The Latter-day Saint congregation stopped meeting there and sold the building to a private owner in 1968. Since then it has been a fabric store, a private residence and an assisted living house, and it now runs as a bed and breakfast and event center with a banquet hall in the original chapel.

Because it was built out of rock, reddish limestone quarried from the mountainside directly east of town, laid up in walls about thirty inches thick and twenty feet tall. It was the town's church for nearly a hundred years, so the plain local name for it has always been the Old Rock Church.

Yes. The chapel and its 1926 south wing were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, under the name Providence LDS Chapel and Meetinghouse, in recognition of the building's architecture and history.

The settlement began as Spring Creek in 1859. That November, the visiting apostle Orson Hyde renamed it Providence, writing that the place sat in an elbow of the mountains and seemed a providential spot. The town has carried the name ever since, and the Old Rock Church became its landmark.

That is a local tradition rather than a documented fact. As the story goes, Brigham Young struck the outside corner of the building with his cane and declared that the walls would stand for centuries. Whether or not he said it, the thirty inch stone walls have now stood for more than a century and a half.

From the early 1870s to 1968 it was the town's church, hall, theater and dance floor all at once. After the congregation sold it in 1968 it became a fabric store with a reception hall, then a private residence, then an assisted living house. Today it is a bed and breakfast and event center on Main Street.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

A landmark is one thing, a hometown is another.

This is the story of one stone building. What it does not tell you is whether Providence itself fits a household, and that turns on things a landmark cannot carry: how the bench sits above the valley floor in a January inversion, what the Spring Creek streets actually cost, and which school boundary a given address falls in. Tell me what you are weighing and I will introduce you to a Cache County partner agent who knows this town, and stay on the file for the research and the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.