Skip to content

The Local

Heritage Logan

How a fort on the river became a valley city, and the temple on the bench

The Logan Temple and pioneer history.

Logan started in 1859 as a fort of log houses on the bank of the Logan River, in a valley that fur trappers had already named for the pelts they hid, or cached, here. Within a generation the settlers had raised two buildings that still anchor the city: a tabernacle on Main Street, and, on the bench above downtown, a temple of dark limestone that took seven years and a fortune in donated labor to finish. This is the short history of how the town began and what the pioneers built.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

The short answer

Here is the history of Logan in one paragraph. Mormon settlers laid out a fort on the Logan River in June 1859, in a valley that fur trappers had already named Cache for the furs they hid here. The town grew quickly because of its water and its central place in the valley, and the pioneers poured decades of unpaid work into two landmarks that still stand. The Logan Tabernacle went up on Main Street between 1865 and 1891. The Logan Temple, a building of dark siliceous limestone designed by the Church's head architect Truman O. Angell, was built from 1877 to 1884 on the bench east of downtown, where it is still the thing you can see from almost anywhere in the valley.

Founded 1859, as a fort of log houses on the Logan River
The Temple Dedicated in May 1884, on the bench above downtown
The Tabernacle Begun in 1865 on Main Street, finished in 1891
Before the fort The valley was the homeland of the Northwestern Shoshone
Time to see An afternoon on foot downtown and a short drive up to the bench

The two buildings at a glance

WhatThe Logan TempleThe Logan Tabernacle
WhereThe bench above downtown, 175 North 300 EastDowntown, on Main Street at Center
Built1877 to 18841865 to 1891
DedicatedMay 1884, by John Taylor1891, by Wilford Woodruff
MaterialDark siliceous limestoneLocal stone and timber
InsideClosed to the public; seen from the groundsOpen to the public, used for events

Two pioneer landmarks, one on the bench and one on Main Street, raised by the same community across the same decades. The dates and figures on this page come from the buildings' published histories and the Church's own record.

How Logan began

June 1859 A fort on the river Named by fur trappers

On June 6, 1859, a small party of settlers sent north by Brigham Young surveyed a fort site on the bank of the Logan River and started cutting logs for houses. That fort is where Logan begins. The town took its name from the river, and by that November it had a bishop, William B. Preston. It was not the first camp in Cache Valley, but it soon became the principal one, because it sat near the center of the valley with more than enough water to turn mills and fill irrigation ditches.

The name older than the town

The valley already had a name when the settlers arrived. In the 1820s, a generation before the fort, mountain men working the streams for beaver used the valley to hide, or cache, their furs and supplies, and the name stuck. Cache is simply the English spelling of a French trapping word for a hidden store. Trappers like Peter Skene Ogden and Jim Bridger were on these rivers as early as 1825, and that fur trade story is kept alive today at the American West Heritage Center, covered on the region page for Cache Valley farm country.

Who was here first

Long before any of this, the valley was the homeland of the Northwestern Shoshone, who wintered along the Bear River and its tributaries and knew the land far better than the trappers who passed through it. That history predates the fort by centuries, and it is a part of Cache Valley worth naming plainly rather than skipping over.

The Logan Temple

Dedicated May 1884 Truman O. Angell, architect Dark siliceous limestone

The Logan Temple is the building most people picture when they picture Logan. It stands on the bench at 175 North 300 East, on rising ground east of downtown, and at that elevation it is visible from across the valley floor. It was the second temple completed in Utah Territory, after St. George and before Manti and Salt Lake, and it was dedicated in May 1884 by John Taylor, then the president of the Church, in services held over three days beginning on May 17.

Work had begun seven years earlier, in 1877, and almost all of it was donated. Cache Valley families gave their time, their teams and their materials, and the Church later reckoned that more than 600,000 dollars in labor, goods and cash went into the building, roughly half of it in volunteer work that was never paid. For a valley of a few thousand people in the 1880s that was an enormous undertaking, and it is the reason the temple reads less as a commission than as something the whole community hauled up the hill.

The design came from Truman O. Angell, the Church's head architect, who gave it more Gothic detailing than most of Utah's temples, which lean Romanesque or Byzantine. The walls are a dark siliceous limestone from the local quarries, chosen for a heavier, more European look than the pale sandstone and granite used elsewhere. Two castellated towers rise at the ends, and the dark stone against the snow line behind it is a large part of why the building photographs the way it does.

The details

WhereOn the bench above downtown, 175 North 300 East, Logan
Built1877 to 1884, mostly by donated labor
ArchitectTruman O. Angell, the Church's head architect
MaterialsDark siliceous limestone from local quarries
Time to seeFifteen minutes from the grounds; free from the street

The temple interior is not open to the public. Unlike the Tabernacle downtown, the Logan Temple is a working temple, and its interior is not open for public tours. What you can do is see it from the surrounding grounds and streets, which are free and open, and the short drive up onto the bench is worth it for the view back across the valley. For the rest of the historic core, the sibling pages below carry it.

The Logan Tabernacle

Begun 1865 Finished 1891 On Main Street downtown

Down off the bench, on Main Street at Center, stands the older of the two buildings: the Logan Tabernacle. Where the temple sits apart on the hill, the tabernacle is right in the middle of downtown, and unlike the temple it is open to the public, used for concerts, community gatherings and a family history library.

The tabernacle took even longer to build than the temple. Ground was broken in 1865, only six years after the fort, and a cobblestone foundation was laid for a hall about sixty by a hundred feet. Work stalled and restarted more than once. When Brigham Young visited the valley in 1873 he pushed the settlers to build bigger, and the plan grew. The main hall was in use by the late 1870s, but the entrance and the tower were not finished until 1891, when the completed building was dedicated by Wilford Woodruff. From the first stone to the last it was more than a quarter century of mostly unpaid work.

Like the temple it was built from local stone and timber by hand, and it is the plainest possible record of how the pioneers worked: slowly, together, and with whatever the valley could provide. It anchors the downtown blocks the way the temple anchors the bench, and it is the natural first stop on a walk through the historic downtown.

The details

WhereDowntown Logan, on Main Street at Center
Built1865 to 1891, in stages
Built byCache Valley settlers, largely unpaid
MaterialsLocal stone and timber
Time to seeTwenty minutes; open to the public for events

The pioneer grid, and the bench

The 1859 survey Wide streets The bench pattern

The other thing the pioneers left is the shape of the city itself. The 1859 survey laid Logan out on the wide, square grid the settlers used across the territory: big blocks, streets numbered out from a center point, and room enough in each lot for a garden and an orchard. Drive the older streets today and the lots are still deep and the blocks still long, because the grid never had to be squeezed.

Logan sits where the valley floor meets the benches, the flat shelves of old lake terraces that step up toward the mountains on the east. The pioneers put the temple on the bench on purpose, where it would stand above the town, and over time the bench became the older, close-in part of the city while the valley floor filled in around it. That split between bench and floor is still the first thing to understand about how Logan is laid out, and the practical side of it, which streets sit above the winter air and what they cost, lives on the Logan city guide.

Downtown keeps a good deal of its pioneer and early twentieth century fabric: brick storefronts, the tabernacle, a 1923 theatre a block away, and streets of older homes on the near bench. Much of it is documented as historic, and the sibling pages below walk it in detail.

Quick answers


The history, answered.

Logan began on June 6, 1859, when a party of settlers sent north by Brigham Young surveyed a fort site on the bank of the Logan River and started cutting logs for houses. The town took its name from the river. It was not the first camp in Cache Valley, but its central location and its water for mills and irrigation soon made it the main city, and by that November it had its first bishop, William B. Preston.

The valley was named by fur trappers a generation before the town. In the 1820s, mountain men working the streams for beaver used the valley to hide, or cache, their furs and supplies, and the name stuck. Cache is the English spelling of a French trapping word for a hidden store. Trappers such as Peter Skene Ogden and Jim Bridger were on these rivers as early as 1825.

The Logan Temple was dedicated in May 1884 by John Taylor, then the president of the Church, in services held over three days beginning on May 17. It was the second temple completed in Utah Territory, after St. George and before Manti and Salt Lake. It stands on the bench above downtown at 175 North 300 East.

The architect was Truman O. Angell, the Church's head architect, who gave the building more Gothic detailing than most Utah temples, which lean Romanesque or Byzantine. The walls are a dark siliceous limestone from local quarries, chosen for a heavier, more European look than the pale sandstone and granite used elsewhere.

Construction ran from 1877 to 1884, about seven years, and almost all of the work was donated. Cache Valley families gave their time, their teams and their materials, and the Church later reckoned that more than 600,000 dollars in labor, goods and cash went into it, roughly half of that in volunteer work that was never paid. For a valley of a few thousand people it was an enormous undertaking.

No. Unlike the Tabernacle downtown, the Logan Temple is a working temple and its interior is not open for public tours. What you can do is see it from the surrounding grounds and streets, which are free and open, and the short drive up onto the bench is worth it for the view back across the valley.

The Logan Tabernacle is the older of the two pioneer landmarks, on Main Street at Center in downtown Logan, and unlike the temple it is open to the public and used for concerts and community events. Ground was broken in 1865, the main hall was in use by the late 1870s, and the entrance and tower were finished in 1891, when the completed building was dedicated by Wilford Woodruff.

It stands on the bench east of downtown at 175 North 300 East, on rising ground that puts it above the town and in view from much of the valley floor. There is no charge to see it from the street or the grounds. For a walk that also takes in the Tabernacle and Main Street, the historic downtown page below lays it out.

Yes. Long before the 1859 fort, the valley was the homeland of the Northwestern Shoshone, who wintered along the Bear River and its tributaries and knew the land far better than the trappers who passed through. That history predates the settlement by centuries and is part of Cache Valley worth naming plainly.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

A town the pioneers built to last. See if it fits yours.

The history explains why Logan sits where it does, but not whether the daily calculus works: the side of town that escapes the January inversion, what the campus year does to rents, and the true cost of a house on a quiet street. Tell me what you are weighing and I will introduce you to a Cache County partner agent who knows this valley, and stay on the file for the research and the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.