Skip to content

The Local

1887 Syracuse

A railway built to carry bathers to a salt lake, and the four seasons it took the lake to answer

The bathing resort, and the answer the lake gave in 1891.

In 1887 a Massachusetts corporation incorporated a railway to run southwest from Ogden, built 5.85 miles of it in six months, and put a bathing resort at the end with a pavilion 125 feet long, a pier carrying bathhouses, a bowery and a dance floor. Trains ran daily and a return ticket was fifty cents. Four seasons later the lake had withdrawn far enough that the sand was mud, flies covered it and the algae smelled, and the resort closed. That is the ancestor of the causeway, and it is also the most honest thing anyone has ever written about buying near this shoreline.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

Southern Utah is where I actually work, four hours south of the west shore of Davis County, so these pages are researched rather than lived. What is on them was read where it is issued: the city's own history, parks, museum, fire, police, secondary water, fireworks and recreation tax pages at syracuseut.gov; Utah State Parks on the island's fee card and its own dated history; the state road layer and the Utah Department of Transportation's 2024 traffic counts for the three routes that end at the causeway; the Census geocoder for the city line; the United States Geological Survey elevation service for the ground itself; the Church's own media kit for the temple; and the operator's own site for the farm. Every figure carries the date it was checked. A Davis County partner agent takes the ground level work.

The live question


Was there really a beach resort here, and what happened to it?

There was, and it lasted four seasons. Syracuse City's own history page, checked in August 2026, gives it two sentences: William Galbraith, a salt maker on the lake, printed the name Syracuse on his salt bags after a salt company he knew of in Syracuse, New York; the name was then used by the Syracuse Bathing Resort, built in 1887 by Daniel C. Adams, who was determined to have the finest resort on the lake and had the only spot along the shore with a natural grove of trees; the Union Pacific built the Ogden and Syracuse Railway the same year to link the resort to the main line; and the name was subsequently adopted as the name of the city. Everything else on this page comes from a compiled history built out of the period newspapers, because the city stops there.

The railway is the better half of the story and the practical city guide does not have it at all. It was incorporated on 2 March 1887 as a Massachusetts corporation, construction began that January at Syracuse Junction on the main line, and by July it had reached the lake shore five and five sixths miles away. Syracuse Junction was renamed Clearfield in July 1907, which is a small fact doing a great deal of work: the junction that existed in order to serve Syracuse became the city whose address grid Syracuse still uses.

It existed for two customers and both of them were on the same shore. One was the Adams and Kiesel Salt Company, whose vats ran for a mile and a half on either side of the resort with two steam engines pumping lake water for evaporation, and which expected to make 26,000 tons of salt in 1887. The other was the resort itself, and in sworn testimony on 22 July 1887 the co owner Fred J. Kiesel described the deal plainly: the salt company had agreed to build a bathing resort that would compare favourably with the others on the lake, in exchange for freight rates of $2 a ton for the first 10,000 tons and $1.50 a ton after that. A railroad, a salt works and a beach, arranged by contract.

1887, in numbers

5.85 mi

of railway built from the junction to the lake shore

50c

for a return bathing ticket, 25c for children under twelve

125 ft

of pavilion, by 75, with a bar and an orchestra stand

4

seasons, and then the beach was mud

Four seasons


Built in five months, opened on a Fourth of July, and finished by the water it was built for.

Every row below is dated to a named newspaper issue through a compiled railfan history of the branch and the resort, checked in August 2026. Those papers are on Utah Digital Newspapers, free to read, which means none of this has to be taken on trust and any of it can be checked in an afternoon.

WhenWhat happenedWhere it is recordedWhat it tells you
2 March 1887The Ogden and Syracuse Railway is incorporated as a Massachusetts corporation to build southwest from OgdenUnion Pacific and Oregon Short Line corporate histories, through a compiled accountThe money was eastern and the purpose was single: reach this shore
January to July 1887Construction runs from Syracuse Junction on the main line to the lake, 5.85 milesThe same compiled corporate historySix months from first grading to a train on the beach
13 May 1887Large consignments of bathhouse materials arriveSalt Lake Evening DemocratThe resort was being built while the track was being laid
4 June 1887Pile driving starts on the pierDeseret NewsA pier, because the water was far enough out to need one even then
27 June 1887The dancing floor and the bowery are finishedOgden Standard ExaminerIt was a dance hall and a picnic ground as much as a beach
4 July 1887The resort opens with roughly 2,000 visitors, reported as thirteen trainloads from Ogden aloneOgden Standard Examiner of 5 July 1887Two thousand people at a brand new lakeside resort, on a shore with no town on it
8 July 1887Daily trains leave Ogden at 10:30am and 6:00pm and return from Syracuse at 4:25 and 9:00pm. Round trip 50 cents, 25 cents for children under twelveOgden Standard ExaminerThis was a scheduled excursion service, not an outing. The pattern is exactly the causeway's, eighty two years early
10 August 1887Salt vats run a mile and a half either side of the resort, two steam engines pumping, 26,000 tons of salt expected for the yearSalt Lake HeraldThe beach and the salt works were the same enterprise on the same siding
8 June 1888A large street car replaces the trains on the last stretch, running every fifteen minutesDeseret NewsBy the second season the operation was big enough to need a shuttle
July 1891A plunge is added mid seasonSalt Lake Tribune of 4 July 1891They were still investing in it the summer it died
End of the 1891 seasonThe lake has receded. Brackish mud replaces the beach sand, flies cover it, decaying algae begins to smell, and a dispute over ownership finishes the resortThe compiled account, from the same run of papersFour seasons was all it took, and the description is the one people still use about this shore
1903 or 1904The pavilion is moved to the east end of the Syracuse Canning Factory as a storehouse, and briefly for dances until the floor warpsThe same compiled accountThe last physical trace of the resort ended up inside a tomato cannery and then failed at that too

Compiled from a railfan history of the Ogden and Syracuse Railway and the Syracuse Resort which cites the Ogden Standard Examiner, the Salt Lake Herald, the Salt Lake Evening Democrat, the Deseret News, the Salt Lake Tribune and the Davis County Clipper by name and issue date, checked in August 2026. The compilation is a secondary source and the newspapers behind it are not, which is why the paper and the date are given in every row rather than a single citation at the end. The city's own history page carries the 1887 building and the railway and none of the dated detail.

What was actually built out there

The pavilion was about 125 feet long by 75 feet wide, with a bar and an orchestra stand in it. There was a pier described in the Salt Lake Herald of 10 August 1887 as strong and substantial, carrying bathhouses, steps down to the water and covered platforms. There was a dancing floor and a bowery, refreshment stands, swings and a merry go round, and by the second season a street car ran the last stretch to the bathhouses every quarter of an hour. The grove of trees the city's history page mentions was the selling point, because it was the only natural shade on that shore.

None of it is there. The salt works were sold to Kansas City investors in April 1899 and on to the Inland Crystal Salt Company in February 1900. Adams and Kiesel turned lakefront ground over to fruit orchards and grapes in 1895 and 1896. In March 1906 the railway siding was moved east off the lake front to a beet dump, which is the exact moment the shore stopped being a destination and went back to being farm ground. The branch that carried bathing trains ended its life hauling sugar beets.

One thing about the timing is worth keeping. The resort closed at the end of the 1891 season. Saltair, at the south end of the same lake, opened on 8 June 1893. The story that Syracuse's resort was killed by competition is the tidy version and the dates do not support it: the mud, the flies and the smell had already closed it eighteen months before the competition existed.

The details

Where The lake shore west of 4500 West, outside the Syracuse city limits in unincorporated Davis County. No structure, no marker at the site and no public access to the ground
From downtown About three miles west of City Hall along Antelope Drive to the end of the state highway, six or seven minutes off peak, and that is an estimate rather than a published figure
Season Not applicable. The subject is a set of four summers between 1887 and 1891 and the place they happened is farm and shoreland now
Cost Nothing, because there is nothing to enter. In 1887 it was 50 cents return from Ogden and 25 cents for children under twelve
Time needed An hour at the museum on 1700 South, which holds the resort material, and twenty minutes on the drive west if you want to see the ground

Getting there

There is no site to visit and this page is not sending anybody looking for one. The two places the story is actually reachable are the Syracuse Regional Museum at 1891 West 1700 South, which is a few minutes from City Hall and holds the local material, and the drive west along Antelope Drive to where the state highway ends, which is the closest a car gets to the shore the resort stood on. The ground itself is unincorporated county land and the shoreline is a good deal further out than it was in 1887.

Before you go

  • Do not go looking for ruins. The pavilion was removed within about a dozen years of the closure and nothing was left standing on the shore.
  • The salt works and the resort were the same business arrangement, and the salt maker whose bags gave the town its name may or may not be connected to them. Two separate salt operations are in this story and merging them is the easy mistake.
  • The current state of the lake, its level and its insect seasons belong to the county page on the island, which date stamps them properly.
  • The newspapers behind this page are all on Utah Digital Newspapers by name and issue date, so anybody who wants the primary account can have it for nothing.

The lesson


A buyer asking what lake adjacent means on this shore got the honest answer in 1891.

Here is why this page exists on a property site rather than only in a museum case. The single most common misunderstanding about Syracuse is the phrase on the shore of the Great Salt Lake, which sounds like waterfront and is not. The practical city guide handles that well and says so before a listing can say otherwise. What it does not have is the proof, and the proof is that this city already ran the experiment. Somebody built the finest resort on the lake here, with a railway to reach it, a pier, a pavilion, a bowery and a shuttle car, and inside four seasons the water had gone out far enough that the sand was mud, the flies had arrived and the algae smelled.

That is not a story about a bad year. It is a description of what this shoreline does, and it has done it repeatedly since. The lake flooded the causeway out in 1983 and closed the island park for a decade; it withdrew again afterwards. Anybody buying on the west side of this city is buying next to a body of water that moves a long way in both directions on a timescale shorter than a mortgage, and the useful thing to hold in your head is not a level but the range.

What that means in practice is narrow and practical. There is no beach in Syracuse, there is no dock, there is nothing to launch, and the city contains about an acre and a half of water inside its own boundary on the Census measurement. What the west side genuinely offers is a horizon: unincorporated county ground and open water that the city does not contain and therefore cannot fill in. That is a real and durable amenity and it is a different thing from waterfront. The mover page takes it from there.

The current condition of the lake, its level, the gnat and brine fly calendar and what the smell on a west wind actually is are all carried once for the whole county on the island page, with dates on them, and this page does not restate any of it. What this page adds is that the 1891 description and the 2026 description are the same description, written a hundred and thirty five years apart, and that the first one came out of a business failure rather than a brochure.

Brackish mud replaced the fine beach sands. Flies covered the sand. That was 1891, and it is still the honest answer.

The dated detail on this page rests on a compiled history rather than on the newspapers themselves, and it should be read that way. Syracuse City publishes two sentences about the resort and one about the railway, and that is the whole of the issuing body's account. Everything with a day and a month attached here comes from a compiled railfan history of the branch, which cites the Ogden Standard Examiner, the Salt Lake Herald, the Salt Lake Evening Democrat, the Deseret News, the Salt Lake Tribune and the Davis County Clipper by name and issue date. That is far better than most local history on the internet and it is still one step removed from the source. Every one of those papers is on Utah Digital Newspapers, free, searchable and dated, so this page names the paper and the issue in each row rather than laundering them into a single footnote. Two things in circulation are deliberately absent: the exact relationship between the salt maker whose bags named the town and the salt company that financed the resort, which no source establishes, and the claim that Saltair killed this resort, which the dates contradict.

What came after


The town turned around, faced east, and did not look west again until 1969.

The city's own history page tells the next part without connecting it to the resort, and the connection is the interesting bit. Water reached this ground in 1884 when the extended Hooper Canal brought Weber River water, and in 1894 the Davis and Weber Canal Company brought water to the bench above the Bluff. Row crops arrived on dates the city publishes: sugar beets in 1893, potatoes in 1894, tomatoes in 1898 and peas in 1902. The Syracuse Canning Factory started up in 1898, canning tomatoes, pickles and fruit, which is the building the resort pavilion ended up attached to five or six years later.

Meanwhile the centre of the town moved. The city records that meetings were held in a one room school built below the Bluff in 1885, and that in 1892 they moved to a red brick school house on the bench. The Syracuse Ward was created on 1 December 1895 and a meeting house went up where the centre of town is today, and after that a central school, an amusement hall and a run of businesses appeared: the Syracuse Mercantile, a blacksmith shop, a barbershop, the Kaysville Canning Factory and a lumber yard. The city's own summary of what that did is one sentence and it is the whole of the Bluff story: these businesses were responsible for the population growth shifting from lower Syracuse to the bench.

So the sequence is complete and nobody has written it down in order. A resort and a railway on the shore in 1887. The shore fails by 1891. Irrigation arrives on the bench in 1894 and the crops follow. The chapel, the school and the shops go up on the bench through the 1890s, and the town centre is on high ground by 1900. The lake side becomes farm ground again and the siding gets moved to a beet dump in 1906. For sixty three years the city faces east, and then in 1969 Davis County builds a road west across the water and the whole traffic pattern of 1887 reappears.

That is why the causeway page and this one are the same subject in two materials, and why neither is complete without the other. It is also why this city keeps two entirely different self descriptions going at once. The one it prints itself, on its own history page, is the good one: Syracuse was always a farming community with a little salt mixed in.

Quick answers


1887, answered.

Yes, from 1887 to 1891. Syracuse City's own history page records that the Syracuse Bathing Resort was built in 1887 by Daniel C. Adams, who was determined to have the finest resort on the lake and had the only spot on the shore with a natural grove of trees, and that the Union Pacific built the Ogden and Syracuse Railway the same year to link it to the main line between Ogden and Salt Lake City. Period newspapers add that it opened on 4 July 1887 with roughly 2,000 visitors, and that it closed at the end of the 1891 season after the lake receded and left mud and flies where the beach had been.

To serve two customers on the same shore. It was incorporated on 2 March 1887 as a Massachusetts corporation, built from Syracuse Junction on the main line to the lake, 5.85 miles, between January and July of that year. The customers were the Adams and Kiesel Salt Company and the new bathing resort. In testimony on 22 July 1887 the co owner Fred J. Kiesel described the arrangement: the salt company agreed to build a resort that would compare favourably with the others on the lake in exchange for freight rates of $2 a ton for the first 10,000 tons and $1.50 a ton after that.

A pavilion about 125 feet by 75 with a bar and an orchestra stand; a pier described in the Salt Lake Herald of 10 August 1887 as strong and substantial, carrying bathhouses, steps into the water and covered platforms; a dancing floor and a bowery finished by 27 June 1887; refreshment stands, swings and a merry go round; and from the second season a large street car running the last stretch every fifteen minutes. The natural grove of trees the city's history page mentions was the selling point, because it was the only shade on that stretch of shoreline.

Fifty cents for a round trip from Ogden and twenty five cents for children under twelve, according to the Ogden Standard Examiner of 8 July 1887. The same notice gives daily departures from Ogden at 10:30 in the morning and 6:00 in the evening, returning from Syracuse at 4:25 and 9:00. By 10 August the departures had moved to 1:30 and 6:30 in the afternoon, and in June 1888 the Deseret News published a schedule serving both Salt Lake City and Ogden. It was a scheduled excursion service rather than an occasional outing.

Because the lake left. As the water receded, brackish mud replaced the beach sand, flies covered the sand and decaying algae began to smell, and a dispute over ownership finished the business at the end of the 1891 season. Note the order of events: Saltair, at the south end of the same lake, did not open until 8 June 1893, so the tidy story that competition killed this resort does not fit the dates. The lake had already ended it eighteen months earlier, which is the more useful fact for anybody weighing a lakeside address on this shore today.

No. The pavilion was moved in 1903 or 1904 to the east end of the Syracuse Canning Factory to serve as a storehouse, and was used briefly for dances until the floor warped over a weak foundation. The salt works were sold to Kansas City investors in April 1899 and to another salt company in February 1900, and in March 1906 the railway siding was moved east off the lake front to a beet dump. The ground the resort stood on lies west of the last streets in unincorporated Davis County, outside the city limits, with no structure, no marker and no public access.

From a salt bag. Syracuse City's history page records that William Galbraith, a salt maker on the lake, printed the name Syracuse on his salt bags after a salt company he knew of in Syracuse, New York; that the name was then used by the Syracuse Bathing Resort built in 1887; and that it was subsequently adopted as the name of the city. A separate operation, the Adams and Kiesel Salt Company, ran vats for a mile and a half either side of the resort and financed it, and no published source establishes the relationship between the two salt businesses, so they are not merged here.

The point on the main line where the branch to this shore began, and it is now called something else. The compiled corporate history of the Ogden and Syracuse Railway records that construction started at Syracuse Junction in January 1887 and that the junction was renamed Clearfield in July 1907. That is a small fact carrying a lot of weight, because Syracuse still runs on Clearfield's address grid today: every road segment inside the Syracuse city limits returns Clearfield as its address system in the state road layer, so a junction named for this town became the town this town's house numbers are measured from.

That on the shore of the Great Salt Lake is a description of a direction rather than a description of waterfront, and that this city already ran the experiment. Somebody built a pier, a pavilion and a railway here and the water withdrew from all three inside four seasons. The Census measurement gives Syracuse 5,969 square metres of water inside its own boundary, about an acre and a half, so there is no beach, no dock and nothing to launch. What the west side does offer is an unincorporated county horizon that will not be built on, which is a real amenity and a different one.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

A railway, a pier and a pavilion and four seasons before the lake answered.

This page is on a property site for a practical reason. The phrase on the shore of the Great Salt Lake does a lot of work in listing copy and it means less than it sounds like, and the proof is not an opinion, it is a business that failed here in 1891 with newspapers to document it. What Syracuse actually offers on its west side is a permanent open horizon over county ground the city does not contain, which is worth something real and is not the same thing as water frontage. If you are weighing the west end of this city, the questions are how far west, what is behind the last row of houses, and what the road in front of it does two Saturdays a year. Tell me what you are looking at and I will introduce you to a Davis County partner agent who works this shore, and stay on the file for the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.