Skip to content

The Local

City Pleasant Grove, Utah County

A pioneer grid pinned between two working canyons

Pleasant Grove, between Battle Creek and Grove Creek.

About 37,700 people on the western foot of Mount Timpanogos, with two named canyon trailheads inside the city limits, a concrete letter from 1920 on the ridge between them, and a June celebration that has run since 1921. Seven pages on the city itself, including both canyons held apart on their own terms, and a clean handover to the seven region pages that own the mountain, the bench trail and the lake.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

Southern Utah is my home turf. Pleasant Grove is not, so these pages are researched rather than lived: checked against city, county and venue sources, and dated so you can see how fresh they are. For the on-the-ground work here I lean on a Utah County partner agent.

Start here


A town laid out between two creeks that still run out of their own canyons.

Pleasant Grove is pressed against the western foot of Mount Timpanogos, and the geography that decides everything about it is a pair of drainages about a mile apart. Battle Creek comes down at the end of 200 South. Grove Creek comes down at the end of 500 North. The original 1850 plat was set on the flat ground between them, and 176 years later the residential streets on the east side still simply stop where the mountain starts, with a Forest Service sign where the pavement ends.

The town was first staked on 19 July 1850 and its own history gives 13 September 1850 as the founding date. It was called Battle Creek before it was called anything else, after a violent encounter at the mouth of the southern canyon the year before, and the name it took instead came from a stand of cottonwoods on the flat. Both names survived: the creeks and the canyons kept the old one, the city took the new one, and the place has long been nicknamed Utah's City of Trees on top of both.

What that leaves a visitor is unusual for a city of about 37,700 people. Two named canyon trailheads inside the municipal boundary, a poured concrete letter on the ridge between them that dates to 1920, a June celebration that has been running since 1921, a community built playground that has been built twice by volunteers, and a professional theatre at the freeway interchange that did not exist before January 2025. The mountain above all of it, the seventeen mile trail across the bench and the lake below belong to the whole valley and have their own pages, and this companion hands each of them over.

Pleasant Grove at a glance

1850

first staked on 19 July, as Battle Creek

2

named canyon trailheads inside the city

1921

the first Strawberry Days, in June

1920

the year students first laid the G in canyon rock

The pair at the end of the streets


Two drainages, a mile apart, and choosing wrong wastes a morning.

This is the table to read before anything else on this companion. Battle Creek and Grove Creek sit side by side on every map of Pleasant Grove, they are joined at the top by a ridge traverse, and they ask completely different things of the person walking up them. Sort this first and the rest of the city arranges itself around it.

Battle CreekGrove Creek
Where the road ends200 South, at Kiwanis Park500 North, at the top of Grove Creek Drive
The usual turnaroundThe fall, about 1.2 to 1.5 miles round tripThe bridge above the second fall, about 4 miles round trip
What you climbRoughly 400 to 450 feetAbout 1,500 feet, on published grades of 10 to 35 percent
What is at the top of itA fall of about 50 feet at roughly 5,671 feet elevationTwo falls, a bench, a bridge, and 3.4 miles of trail 048 above that
WinterThe fall freezes; seven catalogued ice lines, WI3 to WI4 plusSnow, ice and exposure on a narrow trail cut across cliff bands
Who it suitsAlmost anyone on foot, dogs included, but not a pushchairAnyone happy with sustained climbing and no shade after the first mile
The pageBattle Creek FallsGrove Creek Canyon

Distances, gradients and the trail 048 figures as published by the Uinta Wasatch Cache National Forest and by Pleasant Grove City, checked 14 August 2026. Trail conditions are not a published number and change with every storm, so the forest's own alerts and the city's trails page are the things to read on the morning rather than a review site with last summer's photographs on it.

Battle Creek's trailhead parking has been a building site through 2026, and the sign at the road does not explain the detour. Pleasant Grove has been rebuilding the parking area at the top of 200 South, with a temporary lot below the water towers standing in while the work runs. That temporary lot adds walking at both ends of the day and it holds fewer cars than the crowd that turns up on a Saturday morning in June. Check the city's own trails page for the current state of the lot before you drive out, and treat any hiking guide's parking description written before 2026 as out of date. The lots at both canyon mouths are small in the best case; the honest answer at either one is to arrive early or arrive on a weekday.

The one week that moves the town


June belongs to a festival that began with free fruit in 1921.

The civic year here has a single fixed point and it is not a summer holiday weekend. Strawberry Days was first held in June 1921, organised by the local Wasatch Club to advertise the crop the town grew, and the first edition drew a crowd measured in the low tens of thousands to a field where cars were circled to make a rodeo arena. The city bills it as the longest continuing community celebration in Utah, and that is the city's own claim rather than an independent finding, so it is worth stating the way the city states it. The Strawberry Days page carries the week, the venues and the fee card.

The rodeo that grew out of that circled ring is still the spine of it. It runs under PRCA sanction at the Pleasant Grove Rodeo Arena at 485 West 220 South, it bills itself as Utah's longest running rodeo on a 1921 founding, and the arena was renovated for the 2026 season with roughly 1,500 seats added. Around it sit a grand parade, a carnival, concerts, a run, and the ritual that gave the week its name, which is free strawberries and cream handed out to whoever turns up.

The dates move and they are not simply "the third week of June", which is the shorthand almost every listing uses. The 2026 celebration ran 13 to 21 June with the rodeo on 17 to 20 June, and the festival has already posted 12 to 20 June for 2027. That is a nine day frame rather than a weekend, and it changes traffic and parking around the downtown grid and the arena for the length of it. Read strawberrydays.org for the year you are actually travelling in.

The other thing worth knowing about that week is what it is a memorial to. Pleasant Grove was a serious fruit town from the 1920s through the 1950s, known as Utah's Strawberry City, and there is no commercial fruit ground left inside the city limits to show for it. The moving here page deals with what replaced the fields, which is most of the modern city.

A town that stopped growing strawberries eighty years ago still shuts its main street for nine days every June to hand them out.

What belongs to the valley


The mountain, the canal trail and the lake are not this city's to write about.

Nineteen towns share this valley, and the biggest things in the view from Pleasant Grove are shared by all of them. Written from one doorstep, each becomes a shorter and worse version of a page that already exists. The Local writes them once at valley level, and this companion sends you across.

Three more valley subjects sit behind those four, and one of them is the canyon next door. American Fork Canyon opens one drainage north of Grove Creek and its fee station, its gate and its reservoirs belong to American Fork rather than to Pleasant Grove. Provo Canyon and its river run south of the city. The two campuses in Orem and Provo are written as venues, with their capacities, their calendars and their parking rules. Every one of the seven is listed on the Utah Valley hub.

The thing on the ridge


The G is not paint, and it has been rebuilt in concrete.

The white letter on the slope between the two canyons is the most photographed object in Pleasant Grove and almost nobody knows what it actually is. Pleasant Grove High School students laid it out in 1920 from rock they carried off the Battle Creek and Grove Creek sides of the hill, and for a century it was maintained by hand, whitewashed on an annual student day and latterly surfaced in chicken wire and aluminium slats.

By the early 2020s it was failing, and the city that holds the permit for it went at the problem with a size that is hard to credit. In August 2022 a human chain of 328 volunteers stripped the slats off the hillside. What went back was a poured structure: roughly 490 cubic yards of concrete, 8,470 pounds of steel, 40,000 pounds of crushed rock and 96 blocks, with rebuilt stairs, a front walk and LED lighting that can be switched from a distance. The reported budget was near 700,000 dollars, about 200,000 of it from the city and more than 400,000 raised from roughly 1,300 donors.

Which makes the short, steep walk up to it a different proposition from the one the guidebooks describe. It is a civic monument on Forest Service ground with a maintenance obligation attached to it, sitting on the western slope south of Grove Creek Canyon and north of Battle Creek Canyon, and it is lit at night on the city's schedule. It appears on the ranked list with its own approach, and the canyon either side of it has its own page.

A high school letter laid in loose rock in 1920 came back in 2023 as 490 cubic yards of concrete with the lights on a switch.

The Pleasant Grove companion


Seven pages, and none of them borrows the mountain behind the city.

Everything The Local has written about Pleasant Grove itself: the ranked list, the two canyons held apart on their own terms, the nine day June week that started in 1921, the playground the town has built twice with its own hands, and the honest account of what happened to the fruit ground the city used to be.

Quick answers


Pleasant Grove, answered.

For two things a city of its size does not usually own. The first is a pair of named canyon trailheads inside the municipal boundary, Battle Creek at the end of 200 South and Grove Creek at the end of 500 North, with a concrete letter G on the ridge between them that Pleasant Grove High students first laid in canyon rock in 1920. The second is Strawberry Days, a June celebration first held in 1921 and billed by the city as the longest continuing community celebration in Utah, with a PRCA rodeo, a grand parade and free strawberries and cream.

They are not competing for the same walk. Battle Creek is roughly 1.2 to 1.5 miles round trip and about 400 to 450 feet of climbing to a fall of about 50 feet, and almost anyone on foot can do it, dogs included, though the surface is rocky enough that a pushchair is a mistake. Grove Creek climbs about 1,500 feet in two miles to a bridge above the second fall on grades the Forest Service publishes at 10 to 35 percent, and it is narrow and exposed to cliff bands for much of that. Pick by how much climbing you want.

In June, across nine days rather than a weekend, and not simply the third week of the month as most listings say. The 2026 celebration ran 13 to 21 June with the PRCA rodeo on 17 to 20 June, and the festival has posted 12 to 20 June for 2027. It has been held since June 1921, when the local Wasatch Club organised the first one to advertise the town's strawberry crop and cars were circled in a field to make the rodeo arena. Confirm the dates for the year you are travelling at strawberrydays.org.

Yes, but it has been a building site through 2026 and it is small in the best case. Pleasant Grove has been rebuilding the parking area at the top of 200 South next to Kiwanis Park, with a temporary lot below the water towers standing in during the work and extra walking attached to it. Check the city's own trails page for the current state before you drive out, treat any parking description written before 2026 as out of date, and plan on an early start or a weekday at either canyon mouth.

A Pleasant Grove High School letter on the western slope between the two canyons, south of Grove Creek and north of Battle Creek. Students first laid it in 1920 from rock gathered off both sides of the hill. It was rebuilt between 2022 and 2023 as a poured structure with rebuilt stairs, a front walk and LED lighting that can be switched remotely, using roughly 490 cubic yards of concrete, 8,470 pounds of steel and 40,000 pounds of crushed rock, on a reported budget near 700,000 dollars. The city holds the permit and the maintenance obligation.

Yes, and this city owns two ways onto it. The Wade Springs trailhead at 1100 North 600 East is a built trailhead with parking, restrooms and lighting, and there is a signed access point where North Canyon Road meets Canyon Heights Drive near the mouth of Battle Creek. The trail itself runs seventeen paved miles from Orem to Lehi across seven cities, so its route, the enclosed aqueduct under the asphalt, its crossings and its rules are written once at valley level rather than seven times over.

It closed permanently in April 2024 and its future has not been resolved since. A sale that would have reopened the site under a different name never closed, litigation between the parties began in January 2025 with a counterclaim later the same month, and no primary source has published a newer outcome as of August 2026. Anything you read that describes a reopening, a new operator or a successor attraction on that ground is speculation. Treat the site as closed and unresolved until a court or an owner says otherwise.

Most of the best of it. Both canyon trails are free, including the parking, and so is the walk up to the G. Discovery Park at 1550 North 100 East costs nothing, the Wade Springs trailhead onto the paved bench trail costs nothing, Manila Creek Pond is a free community fishery with shore access, and the parade, the carnival grounds and the strawberries and cream during the June week are free to stand at. The paid list in this city is short: the rodeo, the theatre at the freeway interchange, the outdoor pool and the space centre missions.

Half a day covers the city and a full day covers it comfortably, unless you are climbing. The short canyon, the park and the downtown grid sit within about two miles of each other, so a morning walk, an hour at the playground and an afternoon downtown is the natural shape. Grove Creek to the bridge and back is most of a morning on its own, and the eight mile ridge traverse between the two canyons is a five and a half to six hour day. June is the exception: the festival week is its own trip.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

Seven pages on the city, and seven more on the valley behind it.

A visit asks which canyon to walk up. A move asks harder questions: how far up the bench you want to be, what the streets do at the end of June, how the city boundary interleaves with four neighbours on the north and south edges, and which district a specific address lands in after the 2027 change. Tell me what you are weighing and I will put you with a Utah County partner agent who works this end of the valley, and stay on the file for the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.