In town Morgan County
A 1926 Spanish Colonial Revival station, a 480 resource federal historic district, and the only staffed free attraction in the county
The depot and the fairgrounds, downtown Morgan, open five afternoons a week.
Morgan's commercial street was built on one side because the transcontinental railway took the other, and that single fact put the whole downtown on the National Register of Historic Places on 29 April 2022: 480 buildings, structures and sites, 290 of them contributing. The best of them is a 1926 Spanish Colonial Revival depot by Gilbert Stanley Underwood, which now holds the county historical society, the county archive, a gift shop, a walking tour brochure and a visitors centre, open Monday to Friday from noon until five. Eight days of county fair run at 750 East Como Springs Road in late July.
I work Iron and Washington counties at the far south end of the state, three hundred miles from this valley, so these pages are researched rather than lived. Everything on them was taken where it is issued: the Bureau of Reclamation's Weber Basin Project history and its own facility records, Utah State Parks for East Canyon and Lost Creek and both fee tables, the enrolled text of House Bill 257 of 2021, the Utah Geological Survey's published entry on Devil's Slide, the Division of Air Quality's October 2025 approval letter for the cement plant, Morgan County's adopted Resource Management Plan and its own parks and airport pages, Morgan City's utility and recreation pages, the Morgan County Historical Society, the Morgan School District and the federal school data behind it, the state transportation department's seasonal roads list, the federal historic district nomination signed by Utah's preservation office, and the Fish and Wildlife Service on Round Valley. Every figure carries the day it was read. A Weber and Morgan partner agent takes the ground level work.
The short answer
The one indoor, staffed, free public attraction in Morgan County is the Morgan County Historical Society, which occupies the restored 1926 Union Pacific depot at 98 North Commercial Street and is open Monday to Friday from noon until five. It is also the welcome and visitors centre for the city and the county, it hands out a Commercial Street walking tour brochure, and it will give visitors a tour of the depot itself. Around it sits the Morgan Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 29 April 2022, with 480 primary resources of which 290 contribute. The county fair runs eight days at 750 East Como Springs Road, and the 2026 dates were 25 July to 1 August. Checked 21 August 2026.
The live question
Is there anything open in Morgan itself, and when is the fair?
Yes, and the answer is a railway station. The Morgan County Historical Society was established in 1979 and is a department of Morgan County Government, and its office and repository are in the newly renovated historic Morgan train depot on Commercial Street, at 98 North Commercial Street, open Monday to Friday from noon until five. It is more than an archive. In its own description it is also a welcome and visitors centre for Morgan City and County, with books and brochures of local history, a visitors area providing local information, maps and historic district walking tour brochures, a gift shop, and an offer to give visitors a tour of the historic train depot. The archive itself holds biographies, journals, diaries, histories, photographs and military letters, all available to the public.
The fair is the other answer. The Morgan County Fair runs at 750 East Como Springs Road and published 25 July to 1 August 2026 for that year, with a rodeo, a junior rodeo, barrel racing, team roping, mutton bustin, a parade and exhibits, and admission priced on the organiser's page only for the junior rodeo, at 5 dollars at the gate. Eight days is a long fair for a county of thirteen thousand people. As of 21 August 2026 the organiser publishes no 2027 dates, so anybody planning around it should check there rather than at an events aggregator.
Beyond those two, the town runs on the ordinary municipal furniture: the county library at 50 North 100 West, Riverside Park with its splash pad, Fox Pointe Park, and five county parks spread through the unincorporated valley. What there is not, and this is worth knowing before planning a visit around a holiday, is a published city calendar. Morgan City's recreation pages cover parks and reservations, and its events page is a special event permit application page with a fee schedule and an ordinance on it rather than a list of what is on.
So the practical instruction for a visitor is: the depot is the door, Monday to Friday afternoons; the fair is the last week of July; and everything else is worth a telephone call rather than a search.
Morgan City publishes no annual event calendar, so do not plan a trip around a city event you found somewhere else. The city's events page is a special event permit application page: it asks whether you are looking to plan an event in Morgan City, points at the application, and carries a special and community events fee schedule and an organised road events ordinance. Read 21 August 2026, it publishes no Fourth of July event, no Pioneer Day event and no Christmas event as city events. That does not mean those things do not happen; it means the municipality is not the body publishing them, and this page will not print a date that no issuing body prints. The same caution applies to the hot springs resort at Como Springs, whose 1889 to 1986 span circulates widely, including on this site's own Morgan city guide, and is supported by nothing this research could find at any public body.
The depot
A 1926 station by an architect who built national park lodges, with the county's archive in it.
The building is better than a small county depot has any right to be, and the federal record says why. The historic district nomination describes it as the National Register listed 1926 Spanish Colonial Revival Morgan Union Pacific Depot Building, designed by architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood, at 98 North Commercial Street. Underwood is a name that carries: he is the architect associated with a series of grand national park lodges across the American West. It was listed on the National Register in its own right before the surrounding district was, and it is one of three properties inside the district boundary that were already listed, along with the Daniel Heiner House at 543 North 700 East and the Morgan High School Mechanical Arts Building, an Art Deco building constructed by the Works Progress Administration in 1936.
The nomination is candid about why so little else was built on Commercial Street in that period: the street was in decline, and only two buildings went up on it between 1920 and 1942, one of which was this depot. So the best building on the street arrived at the moment the street stopped growing, which is a very Morgan sequence of events.
What it is now is the county's memory and its front desk at the same time. The society lists downloadable documents on its page including a Morgan County Emigrant Travel Guide, a guide to the Mormon Trail from Fort Bridger to Salt Lake City, and a Commercial Street walking tour brochure. That last one is almost certainly the public facing version of the historic district and it is the better link for a reader than any nomination form. Historians named on the page are Cindy Kay and Tyler Clarke, and the office telephone is 801-845-6085.
One error to know about before setting off. The city's own page for the historical society prints the address block as 98 North Commercial Street, Morgan, Utah 84050, and then prints a directions block on the same page reading 98 Commercial Street, Mountain Green, UT 84050. Same street number, two different towns, one page. The society's own site says the Morgan train depot. Use Morgan.
The details
Getting there
Commercial Street is the one sided street along the south side of the railway, which is the district's whole architectural argument in one sentence. The depot sits on it at number 98 North. If the doors are shut, note the hours: noon to five, weekdays only, is a narrower window than most visitors assume and it rules out a Saturday trip entirely.
Before you go
- Ask for the Commercial Street walking tour brochure. It is the public version of a 480 resource federal historic district and it is free.
- Ask for the depot tour. The society says outright that it is happy to give visitors a tour of the historic train depot, which is not something a county archive usually offers.
- The archive holds journals, diaries, photographs and military letters and the society states they are available to the public, which makes this the place to settle any local history question this companion has had to leave open.
- The city's own page for the society prints two different towns in its address and directions blocks. The building is in Morgan.
The district
Four hundred and eighty buildings, structures and sites, listed because a commercial street faces a railway.
The Morgan Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 29 April 2022, under reference RS100007519, roughly bounded by 700 East, 350 North, 400 West and 300 South. That is the National Park Service's own weekly listing entry. The nomination behind it, signed by the Utah Division of State History's preservation office, is the single best written source about this town, and its summary paragraph carries three separate arguments for why the district matters.
The first is transportation, and it is the unusual one: local significance for its unique single sided commercial street which directly faces the transcontinental railroad route, as well as Morgan's distinction as the most significant established rural town located directly along the transcontinental railroad route in Utah. The second is community planning and development, for a founding and design greatly informed by the course of the Weber River through Morgan Valley, with Morgan City composed of two distinct settlements, one on each side of the river, which retained their independent grid alignments which are still reflected in current day Morgan City. The third is architecture, for an intact concentration of historic buildings, with pre 1900 picturesque residential buildings constructed of locally fired red brick singled out as a particularly impressive feature.
The numbers are worth having because they are a fair portrait of a small western town. The district holds 480 primary resources, of which 290, or sixty percent, contribute to its historic character. Of the 190 non contributing resources, 95 are altered historic buildings and 95 were built after the period of significance. Eighty six percent of the contributing resources are single family houses and eight percent are commercial buildings. Three contributing structures are listed and they are a good list: the railroad siding, the North Morgan irrigation canal and a set of state transportation department sheds. One contributing site is listed and it is Riverside Park.
The period of significance runs from 1868 to 1976, with significant dates of 1868, 1870, 1898, 1964 and 1976. The 1870 date is the Richard Fry House at 126 West Young Street and one other central passage residence, the two earliest remaining contributing buildings. The 1964 date is the arrival of a rifle company's headquarters. And the 1976 date is that company's sale, which the nomination gives as the point where local ownership and most management operations left Morgan, adding that construction fell by more than half in the decade following, from fifty five buildings to twenty seven.
The district, on the nomination's own count
480
primary buildings, structures and sites inside the district boundary
290
of them contributing, which is sixty percent
1868 to 1976
the period of significance, from the railway to a corporate sale
29 Apr 2022
the day it was listed on the National Register
The buildings the nomination names, and one address it gets wrong twice
A short list a walker can use: the 1926 depot at 98 North Commercial Street; the 1933 Hopkins Cafe at 113 North Commercial Street; the 1936 Art Deco Morgan High School Mechanical Arts Building, built by the Works Progress Administration; the 1930 Utah Poultry and Farmers Cooperative building beside the railway tracks at approximately 247 North on the Interstate 84 frontage road; the modern Morgan County Building of 1960 at 48 West Young Street, which is still the county offices; J's Drive-In of 1959 at 50 North State Street; and the 1944 Morgan Canning Center at 185 East 100 North, which the nomination records as owned by the Morgan School District.
One caution for anybody working from the document itself. It gives the address of the Morgan High School Mechanical Arts Building as 20 North 100 East in one section and 65 East Young Street in another. Same building, two addresses, one nomination. That is the kind of internal disagreement this whole companion prints rather than resolves, and the way to settle it is the county recorder rather than any page.
The year, and the parks
Eight days of fair in late July, and five county parks in the places with no city government.
The Morgan County Fair is the county's biggest week and its address is a piece of history in itself. It runs at 750 East Como Springs Road, which is the surviving public use of the Como Springs name. The 2026 fair ran 25 July to 1 August, with rodeo, junior rodeo, barrel racing, team roping, mutton bustin, a parade and exhibits named on the organiser's own page and a detailed schedule behind a separate link. Admission is published for the junior rodeo only, at 5 dollars at the gate, and no 2027 dates were published as of 21 August 2026.
Como Springs itself is the county's biggest unresolved question and this page will not pretend otherwise. The historic district nomination confirms what it was: warm springs located just east of Morgan were developed as Como Springs and the railroad helped to bring tourists and visitors to the area, especially in the years before automobiles became common. A second passage in the same document places the tourist establishment just north of downtown Morgan rather than east, which is a contradiction inside one nomination. What no public body publishes anywhere is an opening date, a closing date, or a description of what stands on the site now. The historical society holds a Como Springs oral history collection, and that is where the answer lives.
The parks split cleanly between the city and the county, and the split matters because two thirds of this county lives outside the city. Morgan City names Riverside Park, a splash pad at Riverside Park, and Fox Pointe Park, and publishes no addresses for any of them; Riverside Park reservations open on 1 February at 8 a.m., are first come first served, and run April through September, weather permitting, with an application and payment required. Riverside Park is also the one contributing site inside the federal historic district, which is an unexpectedly formal status for a splash pad to be standing next to.
Morgan County runs five parks and every one of them is in unincorporated ground. They are the concrete evidence that Croydon, Enterprise and Milton exist as communities rather than as names on a map, and they are all reservable through the county's own online booking system.
| The park | Address | What the county lists |
|---|---|---|
| Croydon Park | 1290 North 6800 East, Croydon, UT 84018 | A bowery with 16 picnic tables. Note the postcode: 84018 rather than the 84050 that covers Morgan City |
| Enterprise Park | 2775 West Old Highway Road | A fire pit and a children's playground, surrounded by a grassy gathering area |
| Kent Smith Memorial Park | 5457 West Old Highway Road | A bowery kitchen area, 20 picnic tables, two charcoal barbecue grills, a baseball field, a sand volleyball court, a children's playground and two soccer fields |
| Milton Park | 1165 North Morgan Valley Drive | A gated children's playground |
| Rifle Range | 870 East Mahogany Ridge Road | Listed as a county facility with no amenities published |
Read at the county's own parks page on 21 August 2026. All five are reservable through the county's online booking system and no reservation fees are published on the page read. Morgan City's own parks are Riverside Park, its splash pad and Fox Pointe Park, for which the city publishes no addresses at all.
What the cannery leaves behind
The pea cannery is the county's other great industrial story and the district nomination follows it further than anything else does. After experimentation, peas were identified as a viable crop and in 1904 the Morgan Canning Company was organised, creating both agricultural and commercial development, helped by easy access to rail shipping to markets throughout the United States. A larger factory went up in 1916 and the nomination records that one of its buildings still stands on 300 North Street.
Then the ending, which is more interesting than the beginning. The Utah Packing Company, later owned by the California Packing Company, purchased the Morgan Canning Company in 1926 after the death of its local founder James A. Anderson. Profits began to flow outside the area and the prices paid to local farmers reflected much larger market forces. In 1930 the pea packing plant ceased operations, although the facility processed cabbage into sauerkraut until 1956. A separate 1944 Morgan Canning Center building at 185 East 100 North survives, and the nomination records it as owned by the school district.
Living with it
A county seat of four and a half thousand with a listed depot, a free archive and no published calendar.
The honest description of downtown Morgan is that it is small, it is federally listed, and it publishes almost nothing about itself. Those three things sit together more comfortably than they sound. A town whose commercial street was built on one side because a railway took the other, whose best building is a 1926 station by a national park lodge architect, and whose county archive is open five afternoons a week in that station, does not need a marketing calendar to be worth a walk. It does mean a visitor has to ring rather than search.
For a household, the practical version of that is a short list. The library is open six days. The historical society is open five afternoons. The fair is the last week of July. Riverside Park bookings open on 1 February and run to September. The five county parks are outside the city and are booked through the county rather than the city. And anything else you have heard is on in Morgan should be confirmed with the organiser, because the city is not publishing it and this page will not invent it.
What the district does for a buyer is worth one paragraph on its own. A federal historic district listing is an honour rather than a control in most respects, but it does mean the ground inside those boundaries has been surveyed building by building, that 290 of 480 resources have been identified as contributing, and that a walking tour brochure exists for it at the depot. If an address is inside those rough bounds of 700 East, 350 North, 400 West and 300 South, the nomination is a free and unusually detailed description of the block it sits on, and the mover page carries the lot sizes and street standards the same document records.
The best building in the county arrived in 1926, on the street the railway had already stopped feeding. A hundred years later it is the only place in Morgan you can walk in and ask a question.
Keep reading
The rest of Morgan County on The Local.
The reservoir
East Canyon
Four different bodies own a piece of one reservoir, and the fee table proves it.
Read the guideThe other reservoir
Lost Creek
A state park that exists because a 2021 statute told the division to go and ask.
Read the guideThe landmark
Devil's Slide
Two limestone walls 25 feet apart, and a cement plant that is a separate thing.
Read the guideSouth of town
Round Valley
Eighteen holes on private ground, and 3,717 public acres nobody can get into.
Read the guideThe corridor
Weber Canyon and the railroad
One freeway, one freight line, no passenger stop, four roads in 609 square miles.
Read the guideMoving here
The unincorporated two thirds
Two thirds of this county lives where the city utility package stops at the line.
Read the guideThe whole set
Morgan, in full
A county of 13,341 with one incorporated city and 93 percent of its ground in private hands.
Open the companionQuick answers
Downtown Morgan, answered.
There is a county historical society with an archive, a visitors centre and a gift shop, and it is the closest thing the county has. The Morgan County Historical Society was established in 1979 and is a department of Morgan County Government, and its office and repository are in the renovated historic Morgan train depot at 98 North Commercial Street, open Monday to Friday from noon until five. It describes itself as a welcome and visitors centre for Morgan City and County, holds biographies, journals, diaries, histories, photographs and military letters available to the public, and offers visitors a tour of the depot. The telephone number is 801-845-6085.
Monday to Friday, noon to five, closed at weekends, published by both the society's own site and the city's page for it. No seasonal variation is stated and no admission fee is published. That is a narrower window than most visitors assume and it rules out a Saturday visit, so a trip built around it needs to be a weekday afternoon. One warning about the address: the city's page prints the society at 98 North Commercial Street, Morgan in its address block and 98 Commercial Street, Mountain Green in its directions block on the same page. The society's own site says the Morgan train depot, so use Morgan.
Yes. The Morgan Historic District was listed on 29 April 2022 under reference RS100007519, roughly bounded by 700 East, 350 North, 400 West and 300 South, on the National Park Service's own weekly listing. The district holds 480 primary buildings, structures and sites, of which 290, or sixty percent, contribute to its historic character. Its period of significance runs from 1868 to 1976. Three properties inside the boundary were already listed in their own right: the Daniel Heiner House, the Morgan High School Mechanical Arts Building, and the Morgan Union Pacific Depot at 98 North Commercial Street.
Because the railway occupies the other, and that is the specific reason the district was listed. The nomination signed by Utah's preservation office states that due to the narrow geography of the Morgan Valley and a lack of bridges spanning the Weber River, the railroad ran through the centre of Morgan, and the town's single sided commercial district, named Commercial Street, was located directly along the level south side of the railway route and the parallel canyon road. It calls that single sided commercial street directly facing the transcontinental railroad route the district's claim to local significance under the transportation criterion.
Gilbert Stanley Underwood, in 1926, in Spanish Colonial Revival style. The historic district nomination identifies it as the National Register listed 1926 Spanish Colonial Revival Morgan Union Pacific Depot Building designed by architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood, at 98 North Commercial Street. Underwood is the architect associated with a series of grand national park lodges across the American West, which is unexpected company for a county seat of a few thousand people. The nomination also records that Commercial Street was already in decline by then: only two buildings went up on it between 1920 and 1942, and this depot was one of them.
At the fairgrounds at 750 East Como Springs Road, Morgan. The organiser published 25 July to 1 August 2026 for that year, with a rodeo, a junior rodeo, barrel racing, team roping, mutton bustin, a parade and exhibits named on its own page and a detailed schedule behind a separate link. Admission is published only for the junior rodeo, at 5 dollars at the gate. As of 21 August 2026 no 2027 dates are published anywhere by the organiser, so a trip planned around next year's fair needs to be confirmed at the fair's own site rather than at an events aggregator.
Warm springs developed as a resort, and the record thins out fast after that. The federal historic district nomination states that warm springs located just east of Morgan were developed as Como Springs and that the railroad helped to bring tourists and visitors to the area, especially in the years before automobiles became common, though a second passage in the same document places the tourist establishment just north of downtown rather than east. No public body reached in this research publishes an opening date, a closing date, or a description of what stands on the site now, so the 1889 to 1986 span in circulation, including on this site's own Morgan city guide, is not repeated here. The historical society holds a Como Springs oral history collection.
The city names three things and the county runs five parks. Morgan City lists Riverside Park, a splash pad at Riverside Park and Fox Pointe Park, and publishes no addresses for any of them; Riverside Park reservations open on 1 February at 8 a.m., are first come first served, and run April through September weather permitting. Morgan County runs Croydon Park at 1290 North 6800 East in Croydon, Enterprise Park at 2775 West Old Highway Road, Kent Smith Memorial Park at 5457 West Old Highway Road, Milton Park at 1165 North Morgan Valley Drive and a rifle range at 870 East Mahogany Ridge Road, all reservable through the county's online booking system.
No. Its events page is a special event permit application page: it asks whether you are looking to plan an event in Morgan City, points at the application, and carries a special and community events fee schedule and an organised road events ordinance. Read on 21 August 2026 it publishes no Fourth of July event, no Pioneer Day event and no Christmas event as city events. That does not mean nothing happens on those days; it means the municipality is not the body publishing it. The two dated things a visitor can rely on are the county fair in late July and the historical society's weekday afternoon hours.
A listed railway station with the county's memory filed inside it.
Downtown Morgan is three blocks, one side of a street, and a great deal more history than a town this size normally keeps. If you are looking at an address inside the rough bounds of the historic district, the federal nomination is a free, building by building description of your block, and the walking tour brochure at the depot is its readable version. Ask the historical society about the ground you are buying on; they are open weekday afternoons and it costs nothing. Tell me which streets you are weighing and I will introduce you to a Weber and Morgan partner agent who can walk them with you, and stay on the file for the financing side.
Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.