City Farmington, Davis County
The county seat, on a narrow strip between the Great Salt Lake and the Wasatch front
Farmington, where the oldest street in the county sits a mile from the newest.
24,531 people at the 2020 decennial census on 9.951 square miles of land, sixteen to seventeen miles north of Salt Lake City and nineteen south of Ogden. The county seat since Davis County was created in 1852, incorporated as a city in December 1892 with 1,180 residents, and home to a seventy five acre National Register district, a second federal district out on West State Street, and an amusement park with three operating rides on the same register. Six pages on the city, plus links to the five county subjects a Farmington address actually uses.
I work Southern Utah, a long way south of Davis County, so these pages are researched rather than lived. The spine of this set is federal: five National Park Service registration forms were pulled and read in full, for the two historic districts and for three Lagoon rides. The rest was read at the body that issues it, meaning Farmington City, Davis County, UDOT project records, the Utah Transit Authority, the Division of Wildlife Resources, the Census Bureau's own data files and the park's own calendar. Each figure carries the date it was checked. A Davis County partner agent handles the work on the ground.
Start here
One town, two centers, and the freeway is why both of them survived.
Farmington has been the seat of Davis County since the county was created, and it holds two entirely different downtowns about a mile apart. The older one is a seventy five acre National Register district on Main Street, sixty six contributing buildings, fifty nine of them houses, under a canopy of mature sycamores. The newer one sits on the far side of the freeway around a commuter rail platform, a retail district, a county sports campus and the south end of a sixteen mile highway. You can stand in a federally listed streetscape here and be on a train platform seven minutes later without leaving the city limits.
The two are connected by a single cause, and the National Register nomination states it outright. Interstate 15 was built west of the town in the 1960s and pulled the through traffic off Main Street, which had carried the old road between Salt Lake City and Ogden. The traffic never came back to Main. What that did to the old core was preserve it: sixty six buildings survived because nothing was worth demolishing them for. What it did to the west side was create the ground that the rail platform, the retail and the highway terminus were eventually built on. The same decision produced both halves of this city.
The third thing here is the one everybody already knows about and almost nobody knows the details of. Lagoon has been on this ground since 12 July 1896, and three of its operating rides went on the National Register of Historic Places on one day in October 2012: the carousel, the 1921 wooden roller coaster and the 1941 Flying Scooter. The federal nomination for the coaster records that its structural replacements are engineered as a seismic and wind retrofit because the park sits near the Wasatch Fault and Farmington Canyon. That is the county's canyon wind appearing in a National Park Service document as a load case on an amusement ride.
Farmington at a glance
24,531
counted at the 2020 decennial census
9.95 sq mi
of land between the lake and the mountains
1892
the year the town incorporated, forty years after it was named
3
operating Lagoon rides on the National Register, all listed on one day
The layout
Four strips running north to south, and the freeway sits between the two that matter most.
The city occupies 9.951 square miles of land, and the shape of it is the whole point: a narrow band squeezed between the Great Salt Lake on one side and the Wasatch front on the other, which is why the 1853 town plot was, in the National Register nomination's own phrase, a narrow version of a Mormon town grid. Four bands run through that squeeze and they behave nothing alike.
| The bench | The old core on Main | The Park Lane west end | The shorelands | |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Where it is | Above the town on the Wasatch front, from Point of View park at the top of Robin Way up to the canyon mouth | Main Street from 200 South to 600 North, plus 600 North across to Park Lane and the block of 100 North between Main and 100 West | West of Interstate 15, around the rail platform at 450 North 850 West, Park Lane and Innovator Drive | West of everything, out past the highway toward the bay and the Great Salt Lake shorelands |
| What is on it | Farmington Pond Park at 750 North 75 West, The Farm bike park above it, the canyon road, and the streets that climb toward Shepard Lane | The National Register district, the county offices at 61 South Main, City Hall at 160 South Main, the 1863 Rock Chapel and the 1932 limestone courthouse | The commuter rail station, the retail district, the county sports campus, North Cottonwood Commons at 550 Innovator Drive, and Lagoon on Lagoon Drive | Wetland, dike road, open water and the flattest ground in the city |
| What it sounds like | Quiet, with canyon wind as the one loud thing and it arrives from the east without warning | Two lane street traffic on Main under mature sycamores, plus the county's civic day | Freeway, train horns, Lagoon in season until as late as eleven at night on an October Saturday, and construction on the Shepard Lane interchange into winter 2026 | Birds, wind and distant freeway. This is the quietest ground in Davis County and also the least sheltered |
| What to check | How high on the bench the parcel is, because the fire restriction and the fireworks line are both drawn up here | That the property is inside the district boundary, and what if anything the city requires of an owner, because National Register listing on its own requires nothing | Which construction project is live on the day you drive it, and what the Lagoon season is doing that week | Wetland adjacency, standing water in spring, and the wildlife management area rules, which belong to the county birding page |
| Where it is written | Farmington Pond and the mover page | The Sycamore district and North Cottonwood | The Park Lane district | Farmington Bay and the birding, a county page |
Addresses as published by Farmington City's parks page and the National Park Service registration form for the Farmington Main Street Historic District, NRIS 11000756. Land area from the U.S. Census Bureau 2024 gazetteer file for Utah places. Construction scope and schedule from UDOT's own Shepard Lane interchange project page. All checked in August 2026. Prices and current listings live on the practical city guide.
Two incorporation dates are in circulation for this city and they are forty years apart, and the one on the practical city guide is the weaker of the two. The guide at /cities/farmington/ carries February 1852 in its stat block, its glance table and its overview. Against that, Farmington City's own history page reads that in December of 1892, Farmington was incorporated as a city with a population of 1,180, and the National Park Service registration form for the Main Street district states independently that the town of Farmington incorporated in 1892 with a population of 1,180. Two issuing bodies, one number, one year. What happened in 1852 is separately documented and is a real event: the Utah Territorial Legislature created Davis County, placed the county seat at what was then called North Cottonwood, and renamed it Farmington. A territorial act creating a place and a later incorporation under general municipal law are different things, and they are forty years apart here. Until the city guide is corrected, treat 1892 as the incorporation year and 1852 as the naming and county seat year.
The long view
A cattle camp in 1847, a mud wall by 1855, and a city charter forty years late.
The National Register nomination puts the beginning at 1847, and it puts it in an unusually specific way. Hector Haight, described on the form as the father of Farmington, was delegated to winter cattle herds in the area in 1847 and 1848. He was sent to keep animals alive through a winter, not to found a town. The Clark Lane nomination adds where: he camped on North Cottonwood Creek. Other families followed and built log cabins, and the form notes they built them along the streams coming down from the mountains, which is the reason the oldest street lines in this city follow water rather than the compass. The founding page carries the sequence in full.
In 1852 the Territorial Legislature created Davis County, placed the seat here and renamed North Cottonwood to Farmington. The town was platted the following year, and the surveyors found a bench wide enough from east to west for only two city blocks, so they ran the main street parallel with the mountains and laid out six lots per block with streets six rods wide between them. At the time of that survey there were three adobe houses and four log houses inside the whole town plot. The county built an adobe courthouse in 1854 and 1855 that served civic and religious purposes at once.
Then the town walled itself in, and the record of that is unusually complete for a structure nobody has seen in a hundred and sixty years. Two federal registration forms between them give the footprint in modern street names, the intended dimensions in feet, the number of entrances and the year it disappeared. What they add up to is a fortification that never worked as one: it got about six feet up, its gates were never hung, and residents flattened the remains into their own lots before 1870. Nothing survives above ground. It is still the most accurate outline of the original town anybody has, and the founding page sets out both halves of it.
The last part of the arc is arithmetic and it is worth reading slowly. Farmington incorporated in December 1892 with 1,180 people. A 1922 city directory recorded 1,450. The 1960 census recorded 1,951. Sixty five years later the Census Bureau's own estimate for 1 July 2024 is 26,163. This city went from under two thousand people to over twenty six thousand inside one lifetime, and the streets in the National Register district are the part that did not change while it happened.
A wall that was never finished, never gated and gone within fifteen years is still the most useful map of old Farmington anybody has, because the streets it enclosed are the streets that are still there.
The county
Five Davis subjects reach this city and one of them carries its name without belonging to it.
Davis County carries seven subjects written once for all fifteen towns. Farmington has a genuine stake in five, and the awkward one is fourth on the list: the bay is named Farmington Bay, it is inside this city's western half, and the wildlife management area, the access permit rule and the education center on Glovers Lane all belong to the county page rather than to this one. Naming a thing does not mean writing it twice.
Straight up the hill
The Davis canyons
Seven bench canyons written once, with the Skyline spine above them and a snow calendar that governs all seven.
Read the guideThe city's own name
Farmington Bay and the birding
Managed wetland with its own permit rule since summer 2026, a state education building on Glovers Lane, and a migration schedule.
Read the guideThe water edges
The lakeside parks
The county's pond to pond pattern, what each one allows and which are state managed community fisheries. Farmington Pond is one of four in this county.
Read the guideDays out
Family weekends in Davis County
What a paid day out costs in this county and what hours it keeps, across every town. The county page prices and seasons them; the park itself is written here.
Read the guideThe fifth subject touches this city at exactly one point, and two more do not touch it at all. The Legacy Parkway Trail ends here. Its north terminus is the Farmington commuter rail station, which is the one legitimate sentence a Farmington page gets about it, and everything else about that corridor, its length, its trailheads and its history, is written once on the county trail page. Antelope Island is a drive from here and the gateway to it belongs to Syracuse, twenty miles north, so nothing on this companion describes the causeway, the entrance station, the bison or the October roundup. Hill Air Force Base is at the far north end of the county and Farmington has no stake in it beyond a drive time, so this companion does not link it. All seven subjects are indexed on the Davis County hub.
If you only have one day
Start on Main under the sycamores and finish at the water, whichever water you pick.
First thing
Walk the district boundary
Both sides of Main from 200 South to 600 North, then 600 North across to Park Lane. Free, roughly ninety minutes on foot, and the 1890 courthouse is still inside the 1932 limestone.
The district pageMid morning
Find the county seat
The county offices at 61 South Main and City Hall at 160 South Main are three minutes apart on foot, and one free bus route links both to the train, the library and the post office.
The founding pageThe afternoon
Ride the 1921 coaster
You board a 1921 wooden roller coaster from a 1954 Streamline Moderne station, and the carousel and the Flying Scooter are both within a minute's walk of it.
The Lagoon pageLate afternoon
Take the canyon road to the water
A state managed community fishery with a dock, paved parking and restrooms at the mouth of Farmington Canyon, with eleven graded bike trails starting from the upper lot.
The pond pageThe rhythm
The calendar here is set by a theme park and interrupted once a year by a chalk festival.
Almost every other Utah town organizes its year around a summer celebration week. Farmington has one of those, and it also has a second calendar sitting on top of it that no other town in the state deals with. In 2026 Lagoon operated from 28 March to 8 November, went to daily operation from 23 May to 19 August, ran its water park from 23 May to 7 September and ran Frightmares from 11 September to 8 November. That means the loudest ground in Davis County is switched on for thirty three weeks and switched off for nineteen, and the off season runs 9 November to 27 March. The mover page works through what that actually means for an address near it.
The city's own week is Festival Days, and the 2026 edition ran 6 to 11 July per the city's own event page, which is one day later than the practical city guide says. The published schedule is unusually full: a week long scavenger hunt, three by three basketball and four days of pickleball at the city gymnasium, a chalk art festival running into the night on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, a classic car show and a cornhole tournament on the Friday, a children's bike parade leaving Regional Park at half past seven that evening, and then a Saturday that starts with a 5K and 10K race at seven, a seven dollar breakfast at Forbush Park from half past seven, a ten o'clock parade, an afternoon of entertainment and a firework finish at Forbush Park. Forbush Park is at 100 South Main, one block from City Hall, which puts the town's biggest party inside its National Register district.
The third calendar belongs to the fire department. Farmington draws a line across its own map and bans consumer fireworks everywhere uphill of it, leaves exactly one designated spot in the whole city, and allows discharge on four short windows a year rather than the loose fortnight most Utah towns run. That is a wildland interface policy written for a town with canyons directly above it, and the specific dates, hours and the designated location are set out on the mover page. Take the current version from the fire department each June, because restrictions tighten with the season.
The fourth calendar is the canyon, and it is the one that catches people out. Farmington Canyon Road above the pond is not plowed in winter and the gate sits just above the Farmington Pond parking lot. There is no current published opening date from the Forest Service or the city, and the date circulating in forums traces back to a 2013 newspaper quotation. Plan on the road being shut whenever there is snow on it and take the current status from the county canyons page and the Forest Service, not from a search result. Two other Farmington rules that are published and easy to miss: open fires are prohibited at both Farmington Pond Park and Woodland Park from 1 June to 31 October every year.
A city where the biggest employer of teenagers switches off for nineteen weeks and the road to the mountains switches off for longer is a city with two off seasons, and neither of them is winter in the ordinary sense.
The Farmington companion
Six pages and a hub, and the oldest and newest things in the county are a mile apart.
Everything The Local has written about Farmington itself: the amusement park with three rides on the federal register, the sycamore lined district that survived because a freeway took its traffic, the settlement that spent five years called something else, the community fishery and bike park at the canyon mouth, the west end that grew around a train platform, and the honest account of what an address near a theme park asks of a household.
Quick answers
Farmington, answered.
Three things, and only one of them is on most lists. It is the seat of Davis County, with the county offices at 61 South Main Street and a courthouse at 28 East State Street whose 1890 Victorian brick building is still physically inside the 1932 limestone that was built around it. It is the home of Lagoon, on this ground since 12 July 1896, whose carousel, 1921 wooden roller coaster and 1941 Flying Scooter all went on the National Register of Historic Places on 24 October 2012. And it holds two federal historic districts, the Farmington Main Street Historic District listed in 2011 and the Clark Lane Historic District listed in 1994.
On a narrow strip of ground between the eastern shore of the Great Salt Lake and the steep foothills of the Wasatch, in central Davis County. The National Register nomination puts it nineteen miles from Ogden to the north and seventeen from Salt Lake City to the south; the city's own history page says about sixteen miles from Salt Lake City, and Lagoon publishes approximately seventeen. The city covers 9.951 square miles of land plus 0.09 of water per the U.S. Census Bureau's 2024 gazetteer, and Interstate 15 runs north to south through the middle of it.
December 1892, with a population of 1,180. Farmington City's own history page and the National Park Service registration form for the Main Street Historic District agree on both the year and the number. The February 1852 date that circulates, including on this site's practical city guide, is a different event: in 1852 the Utah Territorial Legislature created Davis County, placed the county seat at the settlement then called North Cottonwood, and renamed it Farmington. Two issuing bodies say 1892 for the incorporation and no issuing body publishes 1852.
North Cottonwood, after the creek. Farmington City's own history page carries the original name, and the Clark Lane National Register nomination records that Hector C. Haight, the settler generally treated as the town's founder, camped on North Cottonwood Creek near what is now Farmington City when he was sent to winter cattle herds there in 1847 and 1848. The old name has come back in a modern place: the city's newest park, North Cottonwood Commons, sits at 550 Innovator Drive in the new district on the west side.
Yes, entirely. The park's address is 375 North Lagoon Drive, Farmington, and the campground is separately addressed at 135 North Lagoon Drive. It has been on this site since 12 July 1896, when Simon Bamberger moved the attractions of the failing Lake Park resort inland from the lake shore and named the new resort for the lagoons it was built around. Lagoon publishes its own freeway access as exit 322 northbound and exit 325 southbound, and describes itself as approximately seventeen miles north of Salt Lake City.
It has two federal ones. The Farmington Main Street Historic District, National Register reference 11000756, was listed on 20 October 2011 and covers approximately seventy five acres with 113 primary resources, of which 66 contribute. Its second official name on the form is the Farmington Sycamore Historic District. Separately, the Clark Lane Historic District, reference 94001208, was listed on 7 October 1994 and covers 12.9 acres on West State Street with 13 contributing buildings. National Register listing by itself places no restriction on a private owner using private funds, and no published local ordinance imposing one could be found.
It counted 24,531 residents at the 2020 decennial census on 9.951 square miles of land. It is growing, which makes it unusual in this part of the county. The U.S. Census Bureau's own Population Estimates Program series for Farmington city runs from a 2020 base of 24,527 through 24,571, 24,582, 25,676 and 25,849 to 26,163 on 1 July 2024. For context on the scale of the change, the same city recorded 1,180 people at incorporation in 1892, 1,450 in a 1922 city directory and 1,951 at the 1960 census.
Yes. The Farmington FrontRunner commuter rail station is at 450 North 850 West, on the west side of Interstate 15, and the National Register nomination independently dates the service to 2008. The tracks here run alongside the Union Pacific freight line. There is also a free bus: the Utah Transit Authority operates route 667, the Lagoon and Station Park Shuttle, which its own route page states requires no fare payment, and whose published stop list links the station, the retail district, downtown Farmington, City Hall, the library, the post office, the county justice center, Lagoon and the Lagoon campground.
Walk the Main Street district, which is roughly ninety minutes on foot and free, and covers an 1855 stone barn, an 1863 fieldstone chapel, an 1857 adobe house that was also a hotel, and a courthouse with an 1890 building inside it. Fish or walk at Farmington Pond Park at 750 North 75 West, which is a Utah Division of Wildlife Resources community fishery with a dock, restrooms and paved parking. Ride at The Farm, the city's bike park above the pond, which the city lists with eleven graded trails and one way downhill routes. Take the free shuttle between the station, the retail district and the park. Or use the city as the doorway to Farmington Bay, which has its own county page.
Six pages on a county seat with a theme park at one end and a mud wall under the other.
Farmington asks a narrower set of questions than most Davis County towns, and they are all answerable before an offer rather than after. Which of the four strips a street sits in, because the bench, the old core, the west end and the shorelands have different noise, different fire rules and different construction. Whether an address is inside a National Register boundary and what, if anything, the city actually requires of an owner there. What the Lagoon calendar does to a specific street between late March and the eighth of November. And what the Shepard Lane interchange and the west side buildout will look like when they are finished rather than now. Tell me what you are weighing and I will put you with a Davis County partner agent who works this stretch every week, and stay on the file for the financing side.
Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.