Skip to content

The Local

The old core Farmington

A federally listed streetscape that survived because a freeway took its traffic away

The Sycamore district, and the courthouse hiding inside the courthouse.

The Farmington Main Street Historic District was listed on the National Register on 20 October 2011, and the registration form carries a second official name for it: the Farmington Sycamore Historic District. Approximately seventy five acres, 113 primary resources of which 66 contribute, 59 of those residential, under a canopy of mature sycamores on a two lane street. The 1890 Victorian brick courthouse is still physically inside the 1932 limestone that was built around it, and a second federal district sits a mile west on State Street.

By Scott Buehler, Moving Utah Updated August 2026

I work Southern Utah, a long way south of Davis County, so these pages are researched rather than lived. The spine of this set is federal: five National Park Service registration forms were pulled and read in full, for the two historic districts and for three Lagoon rides. The rest was read at the body that issues it, meaning Farmington City, Davis County, UDOT project records, the Utah Transit Authority, the Division of Wildlife Resources, the Census Bureau's own data files and the park's own calendar. Each figure carries the date it was checked. A Davis County partner agent handles the work on the ground.

The live question


Is there a Farmington historic district, and what is it actually called?

There are two, and neither is called what people call them. The one on Main Street is the Farmington Main Street Historic District, National Register reference 11000756, listed on 20 October 2011, and the registration form carries a second official name for it: the Farmington Sycamore Historic District. The other, out on West State Street, is the Clark Lane Historic District, reference 94001208, listed on 7 October 1994. There is no listing anywhere called simply the Farmington Historic District, and the alternate name on the Main Street form is the better one anyway, because the trees are the thing you actually see.

The boundary is walkable and the form states it in street names. The district takes in properties along both sides of Main Street from 200 South to 600 North, then along 600 North across to Park Lane, plus both sides of the adjacent block of 100 North between Main Street and 100 West. That is approximately seventy five acres. Inside it are 113 primary resources, of which 66 contribute to the historic character, 29 are non contributing and 18 are out of period. The city's own Historic Preservation Commission publishes the district and repeats the nomination's significance language almost verbatim, which means citing the form is citing the city's position.

One expectation to leave at the kerb: this is not a commercial main street. Of the 66 contributing primary resources, 59 are residential, two are commercial, two governmental, two religious and one agricultural. Eighty two per cent of them are single story. The rock buildings the town is known for are a signature minority rather than the rule, at 14 per cent of contributing construction against 47 per cent brick. What holds the street together visually is not the buildings at all. It is the trees.

The Main Street district, in numbers

75 acres

the approximate area on the registration form

113

primary resources counted inside the boundary

66

of them contributing, 58 per cent of the total

1853

the date of the earliest documented contributing building

The walk


Twelve buildings with addresses and a route you can do in ninety minutes.

Start at the oldest. The Alfred Stevenson House at 36 North Main Street is the earliest known building in the district, built as a single cell log and adobe house about 1853 and enlarged into a frame crosswing in 1875. A few doors north, the Williams Rock Barn at 56 North Main is a stone barn built in 1855 that later served as a livery stable and, as of the 2011 nomination, had been converted to commercial use as a gallery and reception center. Check the present tenant on the ground; a fourteen year old form is a reliable guide to a building and an unreliable one to a business.

Two blocks north is the fieldstone. The Farmington Rock Chapel at 272 North Main Street is a vernacular Greek Revival church of native fieldstone. The nomination dates the building 1863 in its description and records that construction began in 1862 to a design by Reuben Broadbent, who also supervised it, and that the community built it over two years in time taken away from work in their fields. It was enlarged in 1941 and 1980. The form calls it one of the oldest continuously used meetinghouses in the state, and that is the nomination's assessment rather than an independent one. It is also the building where Aurelia Spencer Rogers established the Primary organization in 1878, beginning with 224 children; the program was adopted more widely by 1880. Rogers was also a suffragist. The city records that a mural inside the chapel commemorates the founding.

Between the two runs the town's civic history. The Hector C. Haight House at 208 North Main Street is an unusual two story adobe double cell house of about 1857 that also served as the Union Hotel, individually listed in 1985 and clad in aluminum siding in the 1950s. The Farmington Tithing Office at 108 North Main, built in 1907 in Victorian Eclectic style with arched window heads, was individually listed in 1985 as well, was bought by the city for use as a city hall in 1917, and now holds the Farmington City Historic Museum. Current City Hall, at 160 South Main, was completed in 2010 in a deliberately historic idiom, and the nomination counts it as a resource of the district: a brand new building inside a federal historic district, listed as part of it.

The commercial corner is State and Main, and it is small and dense. The Farmington Commercial and Manufacturing Company opened for business in 1891 in a two part block at the north east corner, selling lumber, nails, fresh meats, hardware and shoes, with an addition in 1910. The telephone company building of about 1896 sits immediately east at 21 East State Street, with another one part commercial block at 23 East. Across the junction at 12 West State is the Davis County Bank building, organized by local merchants in 1891 in a rented room inside the new hardware store, moved to its own offices in 1930 and renovated and expanded in modern commercial style in 1960 with plate glass and native fieldstone. The nomination names Wells Fargo as its 2011 tenant; branches close, so confirm the current occupant on the ground.

Four more, if you have the time. The stone Haight and Hinman House at 121 West 600 North was built about 1867 and there is another Haight built stone house at about 145 West 600 North from around 1870, both of them at the district's northern turn toward Park Lane. The Oliver Lee Robinson barn at 67 West 100 North served as a barn from 1875 until it was transformed into a residence in 1897. The Robinson and Richards house of about 1902 at 68 West 100 North was home to James Henry Robinson, who worked at the hardware company for more than forty years and served two terms as mayor from 1904 to 1908. And a brick house of about 1893 at 125 South Main now houses the Davis County Children's Justice Center.

The details

Where Farmington Main Street Historic District, both sides of Main Street from 200 South to 600 North, along 600 North to Park Lane, and the block of 100 North between Main and 100 West
From City Hall City Hall at 160 South Main is inside the district and is the natural starting point. The county offices at 61 South Main are about a three minute walk from it
Season Year round and best in leaf. The street is lined with mature deciduous trees, predominantly sycamores, and the tree canopy is the district's second official name
Cost Free. These are private houses and working public buildings on a public street, and there is no admission or tour fee anywhere in the district
Time needed About ninety minutes on foot at a reading pace for the full boundary, or thirty for the State and Main commercial corner alone

Getting there

The district sits on the two lane section of Main Street, which is also State Route 106 and was the historic route between Salt Lake City and Ogden. There are sidewalks, curbs, gutters and on street parking the length of it. Utah Transit Authority route 667 stops at downtown Farmington and City Hall and is a fare free route, so the district is reachable from the commuter rail station without a car. Note that UDOT has an open reconstruction project on SR-106 between Park Lane and Shepard Lane, north of the district, with work scheduled through winter 2026.

Before you go

  • Everything on the walk except City Hall, the museum, the courthouse and the county offices is a private home or a working business. Read from the sidewalk.
  • The Rock Chapel inside Lagoon's Pioneer Village is a different building, relocated from Coalville and built in 1853. Do not merge the two.
  • The nomination is from 2011. Every statement it makes about a current tenant or use is fourteen years old and several of them will have changed.
  • Names of builders on the form: William Allen, Pope and Burton, Reuben Broadbent and Harry Poll.

The other district


Clark Lane is a second federal district and it is not on the city guide at all.

West State Street carries its own National Register district, listed seventeen years before the Main Street one and built by a single extended family over four generations. The two are a mile apart, they were nominated by different people in different decades, and the Main Street form names the Clark Lane form by reference number. Reading them side by side is the fastest way to understand how this town actually grew.

Farmington Main Street Historic DistrictClark Lane Historic District
Reference and listing dateNRIS 11000756, listed 20 October 2011NRIS 94001208, listed 7 October 1994
WhereBoth sides of Main Street from 200 South to 600 North, along 600 North to Park Lane, and the block of 100 North between Main and 100 West207 to 399 West State Street and 33 North 200 West, on a knoll bounded by the freeway on the west and 200 West on the east
Size and countApproximately 75 acres, 113 primary resources, 66 contributing12.9 acres, 26 residential structures of which 16 are from the period and 13 contribute, plus one contributing structure
Period and criteriaCirca 1853 to 1961, listed under criteria A and C for exploration and settlement and for community planning and development1860 to 1940, listed under criteria A and C for architecture and social history, at the local level
What it is aboutThe whole civic and commercial core of a county seat, and the trees over itOne family's property, developed generation by generation and lot by lot rather than sold and built at once, which is why the architecture varies so much across so little ground

Both rows read directly from the National Park Service registration forms, retrieved as PDF from npgallery.nps.gov and checked in August 2026. The Clark Lane form's east boundary at 200 West is described on the form as the historic location of the Bamberger rail line, which is the same interurban that built Lagoon a mile north. The city's Historic Preservation Commission page lists a separate nonprofit, the Clark Lane Historical Preservation Association, as the contact for that district.

Being inside a National Register district does not by itself restrict what an owner may do to a building, and the practical city guide implies otherwise. The guide at /cities/farmington/ says that in the historic core, historic district guidelines shape what you can change. Nothing in any published source supports that. National Register listing is a federal honorific and a planning trigger for federally funded or licensed projects; on its own it places no restriction whatever on a private owner spending private money on their own building. Any real restriction would have to come from a local ordinance with a design review requirement, and Farmington City's own Historic Preservation Commission page publishes the district's National Register significance language and the two individually listed buildings inside it and says nothing at all about what an owner may or may not change. The commission exists, which is confirmed. A local restriction is not. If this matters to a purchase, the sources of record are the Farmington City municipal code and the commission's own charge, and the answer should come from the city in writing rather than from any page including this one.

Living with it


The freeway saved this street by taking everything that used to drive down it.

The nomination is unusually direct about why sixty six historic buildings are still standing here, and it is not a preservation story. Main Street carried the historic state highway route between Salt Lake City and Ogden. Then Interstate 15 was built to the west in the 1960s and moved the traffic off Main, and major commercial development went north of the historic core in the late 1980s. The form's own conclusion is that both events helped preserve the character of the district as major highway and commercial construction bypassed the downtown core. Nobody protected this street. It was simply left alone, and being left alone for sixty years turned out to be the most effective preservation policy available.

That is also why the district and the new west side are not in competition. The commercial weight of this city moved across the freeway decades ago and is still moving, which is a separate page. The consequence for the old core is that it is a residential street with a small commercial corner and a set of civic buildings on it, and a household buying into it is buying quiet, mature trees and a two lane road rather than proximity to shops.

The trees deserve their own paragraph because they are the second official name. The nomination describes a two lane Main Street with sidewalks, curbs, gutters and on street parking, lined with mature deciduous trees, predominantly sycamores, and calls the whole thing the Sycamore tree lined district. The Clark Lane form records the same habit a mile west and dates it: rows of trees have lined that street since probably the 1860s, replanted whenever they were removed. Two federal documents, written seventeen years apart by different people, both decided the trees were the defining feature. Farmington City's own history page says the same thing in its own words, describing the city as known for its tree lined streets.

The last practical note is about what is not yet documented here. The National Park Service has continued adding individual Farmington houses to the register in recent years, several of them on the 100 East and 100 North blocks a few minutes from City Hall, but the Park Service document server did not return nomination text for the most recent Farmington additions when it was checked in August 2026. This page therefore names only the listings whose nominations it actually read. If you are researching a specific house, the two places to go are the National Park Service and the city's Historic Preservation Commission, and the museum in the old Tithing Office is a working repository: the 2011 nomination lists it as one of the sources for its own research. Its hours and admission are not published anywhere I could find, so call the city first.

Quick answers


The district, answered.

There is no listing called the Farmington Historic District. The one on Main Street is the Farmington Main Street Historic District, National Register reference 11000756, listed on 20 October 2011, and the registration form gives it a second official name, the Farmington Sycamore Historic District. There is also a second federal district in the city, the Clark Lane Historic District, reference 94001208, listed on 7 October 1994 and covering 207 to 399 West State Street and 33 North 200 West.

The registration form states them in street names, so they are walkable. The district includes properties along both sides of Main Street from 200 South to 600 North Streets, along 600 North Street to Park Lane, and both sides of the adjacent block of 100 North Street between Main Street and 100 West. The area is approximately seventy five acres. City Hall at 160 South Main is inside the district and is the obvious place to start on foot.

There are 113 primary resources inside the boundary, of which 66 contribute to the historic character, which is 58 per cent. Of the remainder, 29 are non contributing and 18 are out of period. Of the 66 contributing resources, 59 are residential, two commercial, two public or governmental, two religious and one agricultural. Outbuildings are counted separately and are not included in the primary resource figure; the form notes 36 contributing outbuildings and 11 that have been substantially altered.

Older than it looks, and there are two buildings involved. An adobe county courthouse was built in 1854 and 1855 and initially served both civic and religious purposes. Separately, the Davis County Memorial Courthouse at 28 East State Street was built of brick in 1890 to a Victorian Eclectic design by the local architect William Allen. In 1932 the Salt Lake firm of Pope and Burton encapsulated that original building, clad it in limestone ashlar, removed its tower and added wings, and it was enlarged again in 1958 and 1979. The 1890 building is still inside the limestone.

A vernacular Greek Revival church at 272 North Main Street, built of native fieldstone and later enlarged in 1941 and 1980. The registration form dates the building to 1863 in its description and records that construction began in 1862 to a design by Reuben Broadbent, who supervised the work, and that the community built it over two years in time taken from their agricultural fields. The form calls it one of the oldest continuously used meetinghouses in the state, which is the nomination's assessment. It is not the same building as the rock chapel inside Lagoon's Pioneer Village, which was built in Coalville in 1853 and moved there.

Yes, in a building with three lives. The Farmington Tithing Office at 108 North Main Street was built in 1907 in Victorian Eclectic style, was purchased by the city in 1917 for use as a city hall, and was later renovated by the city and the Lion's Club and opened as the Farmington City Historic Museum, displaying artifacts donated by the community. The building was individually listed on the National Register in 1985 under reference 85000686. Its hours and admission are not published anywhere I could find, so contact the city before making a trip for it.

Not by virtue of the National Register listing, and no local rule that does could be confirmed with any published source. National Register listing is a federal designation; on its own it imposes no restriction on a private owner using private funds on their own property. Farmington City does operate a Historic Preservation Commission, and that commission publishes the district's National Register significance language and the two individually listed buildings inside it, but it publishes no ordinance, design review requirement or owner restriction. If this matters to a purchase, get the answer from the Farmington City municipal code and from the city in writing.

A separate National Register district in the same city, listed on 7 October 1994 under reference 94001208, covering 12.9 acres at 207 to 399 West State Street and 33 North 200 West. It was the property of the extended Ezra T. Clark family, and its significance is the settlement pattern as much as the buildings: the family held property communally and developed it generation by generation and lot by lot rather than selling and building the ground at once, which is why so many different architectural periods sit within so small an area. Of the district's 26 residential structures, 16 are from the period of significance and 13 contribute.

Because the traffic left. The registration form states it plainly: Main Street carried the historic state highway route between Salt Lake City and Ogden, Interstate 15 was built to the west in the 1960s and moved that traffic away, and major commercial development took place north of the historic core in the late 1980s. Both events, in the form's own words, helped preserve the character of the historic district as major highway and commercial construction bypassed the downtown core. The commercial center of the city moved across the freeway and the old core was simply left alone.

Scott Buehler, Moving Utah

Sixty six buildings on one street, and a set of questions the deed will not answer.

Buying inside a National Register boundary raises questions that a listing description is not built to handle, and most of them have documented answers if somebody goes and gets them. Whether the parcel is actually inside the boundary, which is a line drawn in street names on a federal form. What the city, as opposed to the federal government, requires of an owner, which is a municipal code question and not a National Register one. What is underneath a stucco or aluminum exterior on a building the nomination dates to the 1850s. And what the SR-106 reconstruction north of the district looks like when it is finished. Tell me what you are weighing and I will put you with a Davis County partner agent who works these streets, and stay on the file for the financing side.

Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.