The founding Layton
Kaysville started building a city hall in 1889 and sent the bill two miles out into the fields
Leaving Kaysville, and the fifty dollar wagon that got to Washington.
Ephraim P. Ellison refused a Kaysville tax bill on farm ground outside the platted town. The tax collector seized and sold his wagon, valued at fifty dollars, Ellison sued for conversion and won, and Kaysville appealed all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States, which on 17 December 1894 dismissed the appeal for want of jurisdiction. Layton was out by 1902, a town by 1920 and a city by 1950. Here is what the record actually says, what survives on the ground, and the town Layton later absorbed whole.
My own ground is Southern Utah, a long way south of Davis County, so these pages are researched rather than lived. Everything on them was read where it is issued: Layton City's own park, trail, museum, grant and event pages, the state's official election results portal, the Forest Service record for the trail above the city, the National Park Service register files, the United States Reports, the Census Bureau geocoder, and the transit, highway and wildlife agencies. Every figure carries the date it was checked. A Davis County partner agent takes the ground level work.
The live question
Did Layton really sue its way out of Kaysville, and did it win?
It did sue, for thirteen years, and the ending is more interesting than the version in circulation. Kaysville incorporated as a city in 1868 and drew its municipal boundary around the farms at its north end, so the households out here were inside a city they got very little from. In 1889 Kaysville began building itself a city hall and levied for it. Ephraim P. Ellison, who farmed and kept a store outside the platted part of the town, refused to pay. James H. Linford, the Kaysville tax collector, seized and sold Ellison's wagon, valued at fifty dollars, and Ellison sued for conversion. The case went up through the territorial courts and reached the Supreme Court of the United States as Linford v. Ellison, 155 U.S. 503, argued and decided on 17 December 1894. Checked in August 2026.
Here is the part every popular account gets wrong, including the encyclopedia entry most of them are copied from. The Supreme Court did not decide in favour of the Layton property owners. Chief Justice Melville Fuller wrote that the validity of a statute is not drawn in question every time rights claimed under such statute are controverted, held that the case turned on statutory construction rather than on the validity of territorial legislative authority, noted that the amount in controversy was far below the jurisdictional threshold, and dismissed the appeal for want of jurisdiction. Justice Harlan dissented. The trial court had awarded Ellison fifty dollars and costs and the territorial supreme court had affirmed, so the practical effect was that Kaysville's appeal went nowhere and the judgment against it stood.
That is a better story than the myth, and it is worth telling in those terms: Layton won because the highest court in the country declined to touch the case. The opinion itself records the geography that made the argument possible, describing the second tract as situated about one mile and the third about two miles from the platted portion of the city. Suits and countersuits ran on until 1902, when the area finally fell outside Kaysville's limits as unincorporated ground. Layton incorporated as a town in 1920 with about five hundred people and became a third class city in 1950 with three thousand four hundred and fifty six.
The case, in numbers
$50
the value of the wagon the tax collector sold
155
the volume of the United States Reports it sits in, at page 503
1894
the year the appeal was dismissed, on 17 December
13
years of suits and countersuits before the ground came out
The record
What the accounts say set against what the United States Reports actually record.
This is not a case of one source being wrong and another right. It is a case of a jurisdictional dismissal being summarised, over a century, into a sentence that sounds like a verdict. Read the two columns together and the shape of the real event appears, along with the reason it matters that a city gets its own founding right.
| What the accounts say | What the United States Reports record | Why the difference matters | |
|---|---|---|---|
| Who won | That the Supreme Court decided in favour of the Layton property owners | That the trial court awarded Ellison fifty dollars and costs, the territorial supreme court affirmed, and the Supreme Court dismissed Kaysville's appeal for want of jurisdiction | The outcome is the same and the mechanism is the opposite. Nobody at the Supreme Court decided anything about the merits |
| What the case was about | Taxation without representation, in the general sense | An action for conversion. A tax collector seized and sold a wagon valued at fifty dollars, and its owner sued him for it | A conversion suit over a farm vehicle is a specific and provable thing. A principle is not |
| Why the Court declined | Usually not addressed at all | Chief Justice Fuller held that the validity of a statute is not drawn in question every time rights claimed under such statute are controverted, that the case turned on statutory construction, and that the amount in controversy was far below the jurisdictional threshold | This is the whole of the Court's reasoning and it is the part that got lost |
| The date | Given variously as the 1890s | Argued and decided 17 December 1894, reported at 155 U.S. 503, No. 90 | A citable date and a volume number, which is what a founding fact should have |
| The dissent | Not mentioned | Justice Harlan dissented | One of the Court's most quotable dissenters thought the case should have been heard |
| What it settled | That Layton was free of Kaysville | Nothing directly. The suits and countersuits ran until 1902, when the area became unincorporated ground outside Kaysville's limits | Eight more years of litigation followed the case everybody remembers |
The opinion read in the United States Reports, volume 155, page 503, via Cornell's Legal Information Institute and the Library of Congress, on 15 August 2026, against the Utah History Encyclopedia entry on Layton by Janice P. Dawson, which is the source most later accounts follow. The encyclopedia is not careless; a jurisdictional dismissal that leaves a judgment standing is genuinely hard to summarise in a clause. The right sentence is that the Supreme Court refused to hear Kaysville's appeal, which left Ellison's fifty dollars and the principle behind it intact. The 1902 mechanism remains the founding record's largest unsourced claim; the Utah State Archives is where to go looking.
The details
Getting there
The older part of Layton is the grid around Main Street and Gentile Street, east of the freeway and either side of the railway. From city hall, run south and west to Gentile and pick up the corner at State Street; the Farmer's Union Building is the anchor and the George W. Layton House sits west along the same street at 2767 West Gentile. The Heritage Museum on the Commons Park campus at 403 North Wasatch is the indoor half of this walk and it runs the family's own page.
Before you go
- These are private houses on public streets. Look from the pavement and nothing else.
- Every reference number and listing date on this page is worth confirming at the National Park Service before republishing it; the register is the issuer.
- The Heritage Museum runs standing pages on E.P. Ellison and on the community's founders, which is the city's own route into this material.
- Do not conflate the two wagons. The wagon road between Salt Lake City and Ogden is what put the shops on Main Street; the fifty dollar wagon is what produced the court case.
What survives
Five National Register listings and one architect on two of them.
Layton has at least five buildings on the National Register of Historic Places and this site's practical city guide names none of them, which is a real gap given that its description of the older grid mentions Main Street and Gentile Street without knowing there are listed buildings on both. The Farmer's Union Building stands at State Street and West Gentile Streets, listed on 30 November 1978 under reference 78002656, a two storey roughly square building put up in three sections in 1890, shortly afterwards, and 1930. The George W. Layton House is at 2767 West Gentile Street, listed on 23 July 1982 under reference 82004122, built about 1897 in two storeys of red brick on a stone foundation. The John Henry Layton House and the Joseph Adams House are also listed properties, and the First National Bank of Layton is documented separately.
The thread worth pulling is the architect. William Allen designed both the Farmer's Union Building and the George W. Layton House, which puts one hand on two of the city's listed buildings on the same street. That name will be familiar to anybody reading about the town Layton left: Allen was self taught by correspondence and designed a remarkable share of the surviving nineteenth century public architecture in this part of Davis County. Two Layton listings and a body of work in Kaysville, by one man who learned architecture through the post.
The commercial history behind the buildings is the Ellison thread again. The Layton Milling and Elevator Company is reported to have shipped more flour in 1903 than any other Utah mill, which if it holds connects the family in the court case, the family name on the city's biggest sports park and the businesses that put the buildings on Main Street into a single story. That claim rests on local history rather than on an issuing body and it is printed here on that footing; the Heritage Museum or the Utah State Historical Society would settle it.
One more piece of the same period, and it explains the shape of the older grid. Layton City's own economic development history page records that mercantile and trade establishments were founded along Main Street in the late 1800s following the building of a wagon road between Salt Lake City and Ogden. That is the second wagon in this city's story and it is not the same wagon as the one in the case. One built a high street; the other built a city.
A place got its name in 1886 because it got a post office. It got its independence because a tax collector sold a farmer's wagon. Almost nothing about how this city came to exist is grand, and all of it is documented.
The other direction
Forty five years after getting out of one city, Layton absorbed another one whole.
East Layton was a town of its own, up on the bench, and it incorporated on 2 April 1936 for a reason that will sound familiar to anybody who has read the founding story: it wanted a community water system and incorporating was how it secured the funding. It stayed a small residential town for decades, became a city in 1972, and merged into Layton on 13 January 1981, giving up about two square miles in what was one of Layton's largest annexations. Those dates come from state archives derived accounts rather than from the original records, and the Utah State Archives holds the primary incorporation record if anybody wants to nail them down.
The symmetry is the point and it is the best structural fact in Layton's history. This city spent thirteen years and a Supreme Court appeal getting out from under Kaysville, and forty five years later it absorbed a whole neighbouring municipality that had incorporated over a water pipe. Municipal lines on this bench have always moved, they have always moved for infrastructure, and they have always left a record.
It also answers a question this site's own city guide raises and leaves open. That guide says East Layton was once a separate incorporated town, a historical note worth confirming on a current boundary map. It is confirmed and it is settled: East Layton has not been a separate municipality since 1981, and every east bench address tested at the Census Bureau geocoder in August 2026 returned Layton city, including the Adams Canyon trailhead in the 84040 postal code and the temple at 1400 Oak Hills Drive. The hedge can come off.
What that gives the east bench is a name and a date, which is more than most Layton neighbourhoods have. If somebody tells you they live in East Layton they are using a place name with a municipal history behind it: two square miles, incorporated in 1936 over a water system, a city for nine years, and part of Layton since a January day in 1981. The mover page carries what that side of the city asks of a household today, and the temple on Oak Hills Drive is the landmark most people use to find it.
Do not repeat the sentence that the Supreme Court ruled in Layton's favour, and do not treat the 1902 ending as sourced. The disposition in Linford v. Ellison, 155 U.S. 503, decided 17 December 1894, was a dismissal for want of jurisdiction. Chief Justice Fuller held that the case turned on statutory construction rather than on the validity of territorial legislative authority and that the amount in controversy was far below the jurisdictional threshold, and Justice Harlan dissented. The effect was that Kaysville's appeal failed and the territorial judgment for Ellison stood, which is a win in outcome and not a ruling on the merits, and a page that prints the shorthand is repeating an encyclopedia's compression of a procedural order. Separately, the 1902 resolution that finally put this ground outside Kaysville's limits appears in every secondary account of the city and is cited to none of them; the Utah State Archives and the territorial and state court reporters are where the mechanism would be found. Both checked 15 August 2026.
Living with it
A founding story is not decoration when it explains the street names and the park signs.
There is a practical reason to know this story before buying a house here, and it is not sentiment. Layton is a city whose boundaries, whose largest park's name, whose relationship with the town immediately south of it and whose east bench neighbourhoods all trace to two municipal events: a thirteen year fight to get out of one city, and an annexation that took another one in. Understanding that makes the map legible. Without it, Ellison Park is a name, East Layton is a vague area, and the odd rivalry a newcomer will notice between Layton and Kaysville is inexplicable.
The second practical use is source discipline, and it generalises well beyond this page. The single most repeated sentence about Layton's founding is wrong in its mechanism, and it is wrong because a nineteenth century procedural order got compressed into a clause and then copied for a hundred and thirty years. The same thing happens to trail lengths, park acreages, mall square footages and population estimates, all of which this companion has had to unpick somewhere. When a fact about a place matters to a decision, go to the body that issued it.
The third is simply that this material is walkable. The Farmer's Union Building at State and West Gentile, the George W. Layton House out at 2767 West Gentile, the older grid either side of Main Street and the Heritage Museum on the Commons Park campus are all within a couple of miles of each other, and a forty five minute walk plus an hour indoors covers the lot. It is the cheapest good afternoon in the city and it is not on any list of things to do here.
And if you want the pure version of the case, read the opinion. It is two pages, it is free, and it is the only account of Layton's founding written by anybody with no interest in the outcome. Then walk over to the 44 acre park with the splash pad and the skate park on it and read the sign at the entrance differently.
The name on the ground
Ellison Park
Forty four acres and sixteen playing surfaces carrying the family name from the court case.
Read the guideWhere the museum is
Layton Commons Park
The civic campus, the free Heritage Museum and its standing pages on the city's founding families.
Read the guideThe 1912 building
The quiet zone
The depot on the National Register at 200 South Main, and the commuter platform a block north of it.
Read the guideThe two towns today
Layton or Kaysville
A hundred and twenty years after the case, what each side of that old line actually offers.
The mover pageThe other town
The Kaysville city guide
The practical guide to the city Layton broke away from, on the bench immediately south.
Open the guideThe rest of the county
Davis County on The Local
The bench in full: fourteen more towns and the seven subjects they hold in common.
The region hubKeep reading
More of Layton on The Local.
The campus
Layton Commons Park
City hall, a museum, a wave pool and a pond at one address, and no dogs.
Read the guideThe fields
Ellison Park
Sixteen playing surfaces on 44 acres, under the name of the man who sued.
Read the guideThe gully
Kays Creek Parkway
A hundred acres of gully, four named doors, and twenty five parking spaces.
Read the guideThe trailhead
Adams Canyon
Three street numbers for one lot, and one rule the agency actually prints.
Read the guideThe road
Layton Hills
The mall road is a state highway laid in 1940 to reach a base gate.
Read the guideThe corridor
The quiet zone
A 1912 depot, a 2008 platform a block up, and no horns at the crossings.
Read the guideMoving here
Layton or Kaysville
The town that left, set beside the town it left, a hundred years on.
Read the guideThe companion
Layton, in full
A civic campus, a canyon mouth, a mall road and the court case that made a city.
Read the pageQuick answers
The founding, answered.
A case in the Supreme Court of the United States, reported at 155 U.S. 503, No. 90, argued and decided on 17 December 1894, with the opinion written by Chief Justice Melville Fuller and a dissent from Justice Harlan. Ephraim P. Ellison owned farm land and a store outside the platted portion of Kaysville and refused to pay municipal taxes on it. James H. Linford, the Kaysville tax collector, seized and sold Ellison's wagon, valued at fifty dollars, and Ellison sued him for conversion. The opinion records that the second tract was about one mile and the third about two miles from the platted portion of the city.
In effect yes, and by a mechanism almost nobody prints. The Court did not decide in favour of the property owners; it dismissed Kaysville's appeal for want of jurisdiction. Chief Justice Fuller held that the validity of a statute is not drawn in question every time rights claimed under such statute are controverted, that the case turned on statutory construction rather than on territorial legislative authority, and that the amount in controversy was far below the jurisdictional threshold. Because the trial court had awarded Ellison fifty dollars and costs and the territorial supreme court had affirmed, the refusal to hear the appeal left that judgment standing.
In 1902, eight years after the Supreme Court case, when the area became unincorporated ground outside Kaysville's city limits at the end of a long run of suits and countersuits. Layton then incorporated as a third class town in 1920 with about five hundred residents and became a third class city in 1950 with 3,456. The 1902 mechanism is the weakest link in the whole founding record: it appears in every secondary account of the city and is cited to none of them, and the Utah State Archives is the place to look for the primary document.
In 1886, and after Christopher Layton, a Mormon Battalion veteran and early settler. Layton City Economic Development's own history page, checked in August 2026, states that in 1886, with the establishment of a Post Office, the area became known as Layton. That settles a small conflict, because this site's own Layton city guide gives the year as 1885 and the Utah History Encyclopedia says the area was known as Layton by 1886. The post office detail is more useful than either year on its own: the place got a name because it got a mailing address.
At least five, and this site's practical city guide names none of them. The Farmer's Union Building at State Street and West Gentile Streets was listed on 30 November 1978 under reference 78002656, built in three sections in 1890, shortly afterwards, and 1930. The George W. Layton House at 2767 West Gentile Street was listed on 23 July 1982 under reference 82004122 and built about 1897. The John Henry Layton House and the Joseph Adams House are also listed, and the 1912 Oregon Short Line depot at 200 South Main was listed on 18 January 2018 under reference 100001979. Confirm every reference and date at the National Park Service before republishing.
The architect of two of Layton's National Register listings, the Farmer's Union Building and the George W. Layton House, both on Gentile Street. Allen was self taught by correspondence and designed a substantial share of the surviving nineteenth and early twentieth century public architecture in this part of Davis County, including several of the listed buildings in Kaysville immediately south. One hand on two Layton listings on the same street, from a man who learned architecture through the post, is a genuine local architecture thread and it is worth the walk to look at both.
Yes, and it has not been since 1981. East Layton incorporated on 2 April 1936 specifically in order to secure funding for a community water system, remained a small residential town for decades, became a city in 1972 and merged into Layton on 13 January 1981, giving up about two square miles in one of Layton's largest annexations. Those dates come from state archives derived accounts rather than from the original records. Every east bench address tested at the Census Bureau geocoder here returned Layton city, so a current boundary map will show it as Layton.
Almost certainly for the family of Ephraim P. Ellison, whose refusal to pay a Kaysville tax bill produced the case that made this city. Layton City's own Heritage Museum runs a standing page titled E.P. Ellison History, which is the clearest available signal that the city treats the family as part of its founding record. The honest limit is that no published city document says in so many words that the 44 acre park is named for Ephraim P. Ellison specifically rather than for a later family member or for the Ellison milling and canning businesses. The Heritage Museum on 801-336-3930 can settle it.
Two, and they get conflated constantly. The first is the wagon road built between Salt Lake City and Ogden, which Layton City's own history page credits with bringing mercantile and trade establishments to Main Street in the late 1800s; that is the road that made the high street. The second is the fifty dollar farm wagon that the Kaysville tax collector seized and sold in the early 1890s, which produced Linford v. Ellison and, eventually, the city. One built a shopping street. The other built a municipality. They are not the same wagon.
A conversion suit over a farm wagon, and a city that came out the other end of it.
Most Utah cities were founded by a survey or a railway. This one was founded by a thirteen year argument about whether a farm two miles outside a town should pay for that town's new city hall, and the argument ended when the Supreme Court of the United States declined to hear it. Walk the older grid on Gentile Street, look at the two buildings William Allen designed, spend an hour in the free museum on the Commons Park campus, and read the sign on the big park on the west side differently afterwards. Tell me what you are weighing in this city and I will introduce you to a Davis County partner agent who knows how its neighbourhoods actually sort.
Referral disclosure. Outside Southern Utah, I connect home sellers and buyers with partner agents I trust in their area. If you choose to work with an agent I refer, that agent's brokerage pays my brokerage (Real Broker, LLC) a referral fee. The fee comes out of the agent's compensation; it is not an added cost to you. You are always free to choose any agent you wish, and using a referred agent is never required.